MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Certified Lid Sniffer
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short of replacing...

After having my passenger side drip steadily enough to wet my carpet last week, I decided to dedicate some time to resolving this issue. As it aplies to my particular situation, I see 2 strategies that could solve the problem. Both are related to applying additional clamping force between the T-Top itself and the seal.

1. The grommet within the hole that the T-Top's guide pin inserts into may be worn.

2. If these seals are hollow, then an expanding foam may be injected into the inner space of the seal. This would also act to increase the pressure between the glass and seal.

Any thoughts on these? I may have to try the injection method above if the top itself cannot me mechanically adjusted. My windows and doors are still perfectly aligned, so this would remove these two from the list of possible causes.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
mr2man said:
I think that the expanding foam idea is great, i just wouldn't want to be the first person to try it. :)
its only 200 and some dollars for new seals.... lol
i went the guide sleve way for now i had alot of water comming in bothe passengers side and drivers. more so on the passengers side but as far as i know its fixed alot of it passengers side still drips a bit but its dripping b/c the seal joint (inbetween the t top and the a and b pillers) is not real smooth well htere is a hole there that you csn see from out side the car. i have not yet figured out how i pplan to fix that

·
Registered
811 Posts
-I'm having the same problem, I'm not mechanically inclined so I'm pretty much clueless. I'm going to search other car forums who have t-tops like ours and see if they have any solutions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
you could place a bead of black silicon over the existing seal, then put glad wrap(thin plastic food wrap) onto the wet silicon. Then you put the t-tops into the proper position and leave overnight. You remove the glad wrap in the morning. You then have seals perfectly moulded to your t-tops. Could get messy though if you are not careful. but it should work really well. My dad has used this method to success on the cab of his pick-up.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I thought if this too.

May work !

fdesalvo said:
2. If these seals are hollow, then an expanding foam may be injected into the inner space of the seal. This would also act to increase the pressure between the glass and seal.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
toyonut said:
you could place a bead of black silicon over the existing seal, then put glad wrap(thin plastic food wrap) onto the wet silicon. Then you put the t-tops into the proper position and leave overnight. You remove the glad wrap in the morning. You then have seals perfectly moulded to your t-tops. Could get messy though if you are not careful. but it should work really well. My dad has used this method to success on the cab of his pick-up.
That sounds like a good idea

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
two things:

If you do the expanda-foam idea, what type of foam exactly did you have in mind? all of that foam-in-a-can for building insulation hardens when it dries and it expands A LOT, which wouldn't be good. maybe a latex based foam instead of a polyurethane foam would expand less and be more flexible.

The other idea (black silicone/glad wrap) seems interesting and may be worth a try. Just be sure to rough up the existing seals a little with some sandpaper or else the new silicone won't stick real well...it will peel off over time, especially if you've ever put Armour All or other treatment on the gaskets.

for me, just rubbing the seals down with some spray silicone lubricant helped a little bit after adding eccentric t-top guides. It still leaks a bit, and the real solution in my opinion, is to go out an buy new seals.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know this thread's old, but any ideas on how to fix T-Tops from leaking's a good one. I haven't pulled the weatherstripping off to examine it, but if it's leaking in someplace other than where the two pieces of weatherstripping gasket meet, and the full thing's hollow you might be able to run a piece of smallish (rg58?) coax cable through it rather than expanding foam.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
theres eccentric guides you can buy to tighten down the t-top..

also adjusting mr2 windows is tricky. ive damn near cured my wind noise, and my leaks are GONE since readjusting my window (which i previously thought was properly aligned).

i had some gaps between the seals, so i put a piece of urethane foam in there, and shaved it with a razor flush with the seal, that helped, but aligning the window was the fix.

if your seals arent ratty looking, theres probably adjustments that can be done to fix your leaks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
toyonut said:
i did that, it workes. :thumbup

·
Registered
758 Posts
Tom, how did you realign your window? Did you just take apart your door and put it back together (ie, tighten everything down in the right place)? Is there some kind of alignment mechanism inside the door?

·
Registered
97 Posts
^^^^ i was wondering this myself! how can i adjust my windows because after i was hit by some stupid girl my drivers side door has been replaced and the window doesnt seal up completely! Also, my t-tops leak too, and the silicone and clingwrap is a great idea, but i was thinking if you want to pinpoint your leaks, what i did is take the t-top off, shut the door with the window up and pour water in the seals, most leaks are gone, but i think the rod guides themselves are a little out of whack

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
There are a bucnh of ways that could improve sealing.

One is move to a place where it never rains!
:)

The black silicone and plastic wrap works well if you prep the surface. Use a small amound of adhesive remover in the area you want to goop-up. Don't use too much or use it all over as it could dry out the rubber, but if you are at this point you probably don't care.
Also try not to use too much, otherwise a large bead of silicon squeezed into a 0.5 mm gap will ooze everywhere.

There are also eccentric rods or holes for the MR2 T-Tops. I do not know where to purchase these but I am sure a good search would locate them.

Also I found that sometimes simply cleaning the rubber and the channels the water flow through around the windows can help. Mine had some old dried up moss/mold/greenstuff that kinda held up the water a little from draining out, especially if I was at an odd incline. Windex and a stiff brush solved it.

Sometimes a good rubber conditioner can clean and restore the spongyness to the rubber, but most of these products dry out the rubber over time. Again at this point you probably don't care.

I've even cut super small strips of black duct tape and layered them here and there and gotten a perfect seal all winter. Just in summer it gets gooey and you have to clean it off and re-apply next time it starts raining.

IHMO new rubber or possibly the silicone solution are your best bests if you can't find/try the eccentric adjusters.

Also the place to adjust your windows is in the window track inside the door. Just pull the panels and start poking around...

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
The eccentric rod guide route process can be accomplished by shimming the mounting plate on both sides of the T-top and you don't have to buy the eccentric rod guides.

Usually, the weatherstrip has hardened in a few areas and actually removing some of hardened area may help - if you don't want to go the replacement route.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts