MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my engine makes whistiling noises coming from the right side (passenger side)
and it gets stronger as i throtle it and it goes on and off. how do i fix it.

i have an idea but i wanna know ur opinion

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
my alternator makes a whistling sound when its charging hard or if i have a lot of accessories running at once. if thats all it is, then its pretty normal.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no accessories at all i dont have a radio. u think i have to replace it or should i just put a dressing on it? if i have to replace it whats a good brand?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
dont bother dressing them. it will make them stop squeaking for a while, but will actually speed their demise. just replace the belts. i think they are $13 each from any parts store.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
well, i have a pretty unorthodox method of checking to see which belt is making noise, and if it even is a belt.

there are only 3 belts on an mr2: timing, alternator and AC (assuming you have ac). a simple test of the two exposed belts (alternator and ac) is to get some carburator cleaner, and with the engine RUNNING, carefully spray a little bit onto the grooved side of the AC belt (if you spray it on the top side of the belt, it probably wont do anything. be careful of your eyes!!). pay attention to the sound it is making, listen for any change in the "whistling" that you hear.

repeat the above with the Alternator belt, listening closely. if spraying either belt does not cause a change in the sound, you have ruled out both of those belts.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whoah ok thanks. hopefully its sumtin easy to replace. i made a list and found like 20-30 problems with my car. lotsa them are small though

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
deviantv1ral said:
whoah ok thanks. hopefully its sumtin easy to replace. i made a list and found like 20-30 problems with my car. lotsa them are small though
ah the joy of owning a 15 year old sports car. Don't feel overwhelmed by the problems because in the end it'll be worth it. ;)

Miguel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts