MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i made an appointment to see a aw11 89. i believe its a NA and not SC.

i am wanting to know what I should look for, where to look for, for spots that are most notable to have problems on these mr2. what should i do to test the engine rev and push it?, where to look and what not? trans feeling? please advise me as i am a bit short on time, yet i am and will search and read up. (i just decided to post this to get the most while i can before i go)

please suggest me a honest opinion. there is no a/c, about 110k, and asking 2.9k. are the a/c hard to fix??

thanks..

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bump... need ideas... mostly rust spots, trans and engine.. btw LINK very useful..but felt like its geared towards the little things versus the big things.. and towards the earlier mk1

im looking at a 89 ... thanks.

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
From what I was told..rust in the trunk floor, around side vents..you may also want to check the floor panels under the carpet..

Not sure if the 89's have tranny issues, but I hear that synchros on 85-86s with the C50 trans tend to go out..

I'm by no means an expert -- I have an '86 N/A, but I haven't picked it up yet..lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
Finish your profile so that we know where you are located.

If you're in the southwest and the car the same then there is essentially nothing to look for. Everything can be fixed easily and cheaply except for non existent rear fenders.

Those of us in the rest of the country pull the trunk liner and check down by the rear marker lights for rust.

Unless the car's been driven by an idiot (burnouts at every stoplight) then the mechanicals are fine. I've got 188k on my original engine and tranny. The only major repairs have been a clutch and a head gasket. These will be an issue with any car much over 100k depending on quality of maintenance and driver skill with the clutch.

It's a Toyota not a Chevy. Properly cared for it will run forever.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
FishyReefer said:
but felt like its geared towards the little things versus the big things.. and towards the earlier mk1

im looking at a 89 ... thanks.
Um . . the '89 IS a MkI. All the problems were the same in all years, except the '86 and later had better synchros than the early production '85's (through 3/85).

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well according to the article, it specified the 88-89 fixing a lot of the problems, versus the earlier models of the mk1 which seemingly had more problems,

ya, i may be new, but at least i know that mk1 is the aw11 and that they were in the 80s hehe

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome.. gonna see it on thursday.. ill ck it out and let u guys know..

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
btw sorry i will fill profile when possible.. this car is from a lady. according to her, i hope people dont bs, but it doesn't seem like it.. i live in hawaii..

anyhow, i'm pretty certain no abuse, and what not, yet i will give it a look and see..

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i cked it out.. are all mk1's out from power steering?? i find it rather different.. maybe too much PS for me.. i d k.. maybe i should look at the 2nd gens? i d k.. feel like its difficult.. haha.. just a diff't feel..after it gets moving its okayl.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
grow some muscles ;) after a week of not having power steering you'll more than likely love not having it.. first thing id do is change the steering wheel out for a smaller one, it makes it more enjoyable to drive.. ps is the devil!

·
Registered
346 Posts
And if you think the mk1 mr2 is bad, drive a Fiero some time. Bigger tires, more weight, wow. I test drove one before I decided on an MR2 (I was looking at all things mid-engined) and figured there was no way I was gonna hustle that thing through a slalom without taking steroids.

For us purists, power anything is bad because it means more weight. Also, power things break/leak/short out. Simple and light is good as well as cheap. No one ever complained that a Lotus was too light.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts