MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, thanks for letting me in. I've been thinking about picking up an SW20 sometime soon and figured I'd make an account here. I've owned an NA Miata for almost 2 years now, I just blew the motor on it after it being turboed for about a year. I recently saw a V6 SW20 in a video and just fell in love with the sound and it got me planning to do a swap myself. Still unsure if I really want to leave the Miata community and hop over to here. Any info on how the Mr2 community compares to the Miata or how MR2's compare to Miatas one would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure the community is just as good, just smaller.

·
91t gen5
6,605 Posts
You're going to be disappointed in the amount of aftermarket parts and how difficult it is to find information. That being said I'd rather have a SW20 than a MX5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're going to be disappointed in the amount of aftermarket parts and how difficult it is to find information. That being said I'd rather have a SW20 than a MX5.
Gotcha. What kind of aftermarket parts are lacking? Any reason you still prefer the SW20? Better handling? Coolness?

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,129 Posts
There are aftermarket parts for the SW20, just not the huge variety that you find for Miatas. Most everything is available to make a 2GR V6 swap plug--n-play, but not all from one vendor.

The SW20 of course is a coupe that is a fair bit bigger/heavier than a Miata. Quieter inside. More "solid" feeling. The MR2 Spyder (ZZW30) sold from 2000-2005 is much more comparable to the Miata, while still retaining the MR2s mid-engine setup. Engine swaps are available for it to make it quite a bit faster as well. The 2AR-FE swap stuff from Frankenstein Motorworks is top notch and really transforms the car.

·
91t gen5
6,605 Posts
You can't buy a kit to put a LS1 in a MR2.

I prefer the MR2 because Toyota is my favorite brand and you just don't see them often. If I were to lose my MR2 I probably wouldn't buy a replacement one, after 12 years of ownership I wouldn't mind a different platform.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
I've trimmed my MR2 fleet down to one by keeping my 98GT roadworthy. I still drive it but not as often.
For the wife I bought her an Audi TT Quattro to replace the 96NA MR2. Having a small back seat for the dog and 4wd certainly brought us into a new era of ownership. Hard to get my head around German engineering after working on the Toyotas for so long.

jimb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are aftermarket parts for the SW20, just not the huge variety that you find for Miatas. Most everything is available to make a 2GR V6 swap plug--n-play, but not all from one vendor.

The SW20 of course is a coupe that is a fair bit bigger/heavier than a Miata. Quieter inside. More "solid" feeling. The MR2 Spyder (ZZW30) sold from 2000-2005 is much more comparable to the Miata, while still retaining the MR2s mid-engine setup. Engine swaps are available for it to make it quite a bit faster as well. The 2AR-FE swap stuff from Frankenstein Motorworks is top notch and really transforms the car.
I have been searching for a more "refined" car I guess you could call it. I'm tired of having a car that feels like it's falling apart every time I hit a bump in the road haha. Yeah, I've heard the ZZW30 is a really solid platform, I just don't dig the look of em.

You can't buy a kit to put a LS1 in a MR2.

I prefer the MR2 because Toyota is my favorite brand and you just don't see them often. If I were to lose my MR2 I probably wouldn't buy a replacement one, after 12 years of ownership I wouldn't mind a different platform.
Ahh okay, so that kind of aftermarket. Just off quick google searches aftermarket stuff doesn't seem to be THAT lacking. Would the major modifications for the MR2 just have to be all custom work or something?

·
91t gen5
6,605 Posts
Ahh okay, so that kind of aftermarket. Just off quick google searches aftermarket stuff doesn't seem to be THAT lacking. Would the major modifications for the MR2 just have to be all custom work or something?
Give me an example of a modification you'd like to do and I'll tell you how it's going to go. To be honest the more you keep stock on these cars the better off they are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Give me an example of a modification you'd like to do and I'll tell you how it's going to go. To be honest the more you keep stock on these cars the better off they are.
The plan would be to do the 2GR swap, although with a standalone cause I like tinkering with things. Other than that, I'd just do wheels, tires, probably lower it on Koni yellows/Eibach springs. Maybe some cosmetic body panel stuff but I love the look of a stock SW20 already. I'd prefer to keep it OEM+ just with a 2GR in it. I don't think this is anything out of the ordinary (other than the standalone) which should be fine, I hope...

·
91t gen5
6,605 Posts
Yeah that'll be easy to do especially because you aren't wanting to do a gen3+ engine swap where practically all of the parts are hard to find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that'll be easy to do especially because you aren't wanting to do a gen3+ engine swap where practically all of the parts are hard to find.
Yeah, that is a concern that I have getting an MR2. When people say parts are limited, do they usually mean parts regarding the power plant and such? I figured getting a 2GR would help quite a bit in terms of engine part availability. Or is just everything limited?

·
91t gen5
6,605 Posts
It's hit or miss with chassis and body parts, most have been discontinued. Take the radiator for example, discontinued by Toyota and only available as an aluminum Chinese "upgrade" that doesn't always fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's hit or miss with chassis and body parts, most have been discontinued. Take the radiator for example, discontinued by Toyota and only available as an aluminum Chinese "upgrade" that doesn't always fit.
Gotcha, if I decide to get an SW20 I'll be sure its a good one! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I would rather have one of each. Driving a convertible on a nice sunny day is priceless.

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,129 Posts
T-tops are just not the same. And it takes much longer to remove and stow them than it does to throw the top back on a Miata or MR2 Spyder, which you can do from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T-tops are just not the same. And it takes much longer to remove and stow them than it does to throw the top back on a Miata or MR2 Spyder, which you can do from the driver's seat.
Sad. But understandable

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry to revive this thread but I forgot to ask something. How is it working on an SW20? Tricky? Easy? This is probably another thing the Miata has spoiled me with...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts