MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Certified Lid Sniffer
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be the most assinine of all of my posts here since the begining. I found a new seating position is all I did, but man, what a difference it made...I'm used to having the seat reclined and far back, but the steering wheel was just not close enough to make me feel like I was in control of the car..

After vacuuming the car out the other day, I reset the seat and climbed in. It was a bit closer than usual, and the back was set a bit steeper. I reached for the steering wheel and it fell right into the palm of my hand. And the shifter was right there, lol. I wish I could set my pedals forward a few inches, but really I can't complain. It feels like a different car entirely.

It's crazy...I was so used to having my seat a certain way in other cars that I didn't even consider trying anything new when I got my 2...

Thanks for letting me waste your time :D

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
I am always surprised by how far back a lot of MR2 owners recline their seat.
I really prefer to be more "upright" as well.

From what I understand, a proper driving position is a slight bend at the elbow ~ not so harsh to make to close to turn and not too far that you are stretching at all.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
i read one time the perfect driving position was to be able for your wrists to reach 12 on the wheel, thats what ive always went by. and that seems like what J&H is saying (my arms are slightly bent).

i dont see the point in having a seat real far back, i tried it, hurt my back and neck

garrett

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was reading in soloII book which said that one should be able to turn the wheel 180 degrees with both hands firmly on the wheel, and that this should be the perfect length from the wheel. I've been trying it, but I have trouble twisting my arms like that.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
xxxboosted2xxx said:
i read one time the perfect driving position was to be able for your wrists to reach 12 on the wheel, thats what ive always went by. and that seems like what J&H is saying (my arms are slightly bent).
thats what i've heard too. that you can stick your arm out and drape your hand over the top of the wheel. but i guess its just personal preference. i used to sit way back because i thought it was more comfortable, but then i tried scooting up and straightening out and it does feel MUCH better! but i do lean back a little on long trips, otherwise be back starts to hurt.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not only does how far one sitsa factor, but also shoe's! I find that if I where my thin tennis shoes, i can shift much more crisply and feel the engagement point in the clutch better. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
seattlemr2 said:
Not only does how far one sitsa factor, but also shoe's! I find that if I where my thin tennis shoes, i can shift much more crisply and feel the engagement point in the clutch better. just a thought.
very true. when i first got my shoes i'd autocross with my thick soled skate shoes on. now i've got some puma racing shoes and it is WAY easier to feel things through the pedal and not worry about catching the side of your oversized shoe on the pedals while shifting, heel-toeing, etc.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I always laugh at those kids in their modified econoboxes who are practically laying down in their seat, they're leaning back so far. It must be so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I sit with seat leaned as far forward as possible, and the seat so close that my knees are almost touching the panels under the steering wheel.

·
Two for me, None for you
6,115 Posts
Once my friend and I tried to drive is car with our snowboarding boots on...oh man it was worse then learning how to drive a stick all over again.

-JD

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
My first "mod" to my '93NAs (both of them) was to install an OEM turbo seat (the ones with all the adjustment points). I fuss with the seat quite often, you might say, but in general, for daily driving, I keep the base back almost all the way and the back reclined a couple notches. But when I want to go zipping around mountain roads or just drive a little more spirited than normal, I favor a more forward and upright position as specified in several posts above. :)

For all you Mk.II N/A drivers, see if you can go sit in your own car with the stock seats, then hop right into a turbo. The height difference alone is shocking when you swap seats, and I think it's by far one of the best changes you can make.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Conor said:
My first "mod" to my '93NAs (both of them) was to install an OEM turbo seat (the ones with all the adjustment points). I fuss with the seat quite often, you might say, but in general, for daily driving,
There he goes bragging about his turbo seats again. What no mention of the JDM passenger seat? ;)
I tend to have the seat back a little when "cruising" but, always put it upright before I start playing (ie road racing, canyon running, etc)
& yes, he really does fuss with them a lot.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Conor said:
For all you Mk.II N/A drivers, see if you can go sit in your own car with the stock seats, then hop right into a turbo. The height difference alone is shocking when you swap seats, and I think it's by far one of the best changes you can make.

-Hmm, I had an N/A and currently have a turbo, but I don't notice that much of a height difference. My turbo seats are much harder and I don't sink into them as much as I did in my N/A. All in all, I'd rather much have my cloth N/A seats though ;)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I like my knees to be nearly touching the steering wheel. My seats always pretty upright, about 80degrees upright with the bottom of the seat angled up as far as it goes. I hate how ghetto gangstas have to have the back of the seat laying down flat while they try and hold themselves up with their own strength. Then they can barely turn the wheel and nearly get themselves in a wreck from making immediate lane changes. I like to feel like a racecar driver 100% of the time I drive.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
mr20nza said:
I like my knees to be nearly touching the steering wheel. My seats always pretty upright, about 80degrees upright with the bottom of the seat angled up as far as it goes. I hate how ghetto gangstas have to have the back of the seat laying down flat while they try and hold themselves up with their own strength. Then they can barely turn the wheel and nearly get themselves in a wreck from making immediate lane changes. I like to feel like a racecar driver 100% of the time I drive.
Me Too! However, when its raining out or inclament weather, I put the seat back and down a little just incase something should go wrong.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
the "gangsta" lean doesn't work for me. i like the attack position w/ the seat a little steeper and in good posture. ya never know when you need an avasive move! sorry for sounding like a dang jet pilot..

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I agree, good mentality... that's how I feel. Sometimes a sudden urge for something pulses through your veins, and if you don't take care of it quickly enough, it's gone... that being, I keep the seat in a "ready" position, bc if it's back or something, I'll just miss out on the fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts