MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just purchased my 1986 MR2 last week. I also own a 1982 Celica Supra. One general question about the MR2 I had was what is the gas tank capacity? When I went to fill up for the first time, I didn't put much in and it was full, so I don't know if the gas gauge is broken...?

My other question was one night I was driving it down my street and both headlights went out. My first instinct was to flip them off then back on. This worked. But later that night when I went to go home, they would not go on at all. The lights still pop up [the motors still work] and the dash lights are still on, but the acutal headlamps do not work. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
welcome to the board, you will learn very much here.

as for the headlights, check your fuses, you may have a loose one, either that, or the actual lights in your car may be "semi" burnt out, where the filaments are broken, but still touching if it gets vibrated/moved just right.

and i believe fuel capacity in our cars is about 10.8 gallons, although i can never put anymore than 9 or so in my 89 mr2.

congrats on the purchase, you will have much fun in this car, just be careful and learn how to drive it correctly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replys! Ok, I'm guessing my gas gauge is fine then. It was at about a quarter tank and I believe I only put in about 6 US gallons and it filled; so I wanted to make sure. I love this car soo much, it is so fun to drive. It is a lot different though. I also have a 1982 Supra. To say the least, they are very different. They are both excellent in their own ways.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
The headlight problem is probably the switch itself. It's not an uncommon problem on the MkI cars.

I doubt if it's a fuse - there are separate fuses for each headlight.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Also i think you might want to check your grounds but yeah the fuses i had mine go out on me twice since i owned it and starngely too one went out after i changed the alt it was odd

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
yeah, my parking lights go out every now and then, and i just tap on the light switch and they come back on. one of these days ill fix it i guess:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, thanks again for the replies. The concensus seems to be the switch itself. Any ideas on the cost of that part from Toyota?

·
Registered
214 Posts
if you can get it it's WAY too much... you're better off repairing it... it's not all that difficult to solder... my only suggestion would be to get a cheap soldering IRON not a soldering gun... they tend to be a bit bulky and are a hassle to use...

·
Registered
214 Posts
$50?? not as bad as i thought... but compare it too $20 for a soldering iron ans solder and a little practice it's alot better not to mention once you figure out soldering(not hard) you can fix many other rpoblems like this faster and cheaper with every part you fix....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts