MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, just bought a 86 mr2. All stock 1 owner car, apparently stored inside. Only 67k and no rust, high desert car. I replaced the exhaust because of a clogged cat and needs some new seats. The thing runs like a champ, pulls passing lanes at 75 in 5th. Ordered a momo wheel and a trd shift knob today. Cleaned up the under carriage to replace all the bushings with the twos are us bushing kit.Is there an upper sturt bearing/ bushingthat I'm missing ? Found lower ball joints on some oem toyota siites. Anything else I'm missing. Just want to make this thing handle like new. I'm thinking 15 6.5 38mm offset wheels and 205/50 15 tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Greetings from California!

Nice find, and looks like you're getting through a lot of the important stuff!

For mine, I found pretty much everything rubber was cracked. Brake lines, suspension bushings, motor mounts, clutch hose, vacuum lines, tired, coolant hoses...

Your suspension may need a refresh, and always make sure if there's paperwork to figure out when the last fluid servicing was done.

That's all I can think of in the middle of the night!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few questions to not start a useless thread in the tech forums. Took it for a good rip out east last night. Felt solid @80 mph on good pavement up a 4,600ft. pass, pulled the 1,000ft hill fine in 4th seems very healthy. Going home on rutted out pavement was a handfull, studded tires are allowed here. Ruts are real and full size truck width.
Going refresh the suspension. Already ordered the full prothane bushing kit, steering rack bushing and claw washers. I'm looking at the two's are us ball joint steering packages. Should I get the full steering package and the lower ball joint kit? Do you spring for the all oem lower ball kit or get the cheaper lower rears? Thinking I can do the bushings/ball joints, rack as one project, then decide if I want to do koni yellows/ prokit and upper strut tops as another project given all goes well. Im already in with a Momo monte carlo, trd knob and ordered the Ridies leather seat covers. Never thought I'd restore a car with 67k, but this is fun.

·
6,192 Posts
Being that the car has 67k miles my gut instinct would be that the original ball joins and tie rod ends would be fine still. Check the boots for damage or obvious grease leakage and then with the car jacked up grab each wheel and check for play. I bet you'll find that all of your joints are just fine, I'd suggest a wheel alignment before tearing the whole thing apart. I also wouldn't use anything but OEM ball joints if possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts