MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up about fogs lately and it seems as if all the ebay ones have garbage wiring or are just low quality in general. But i found one that i think was recently posted and they seem like they're good... It also says "made my an ISO manufacturer. Not sure if that actually means they're any kind of quality haha.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-MR2-W20-91-95-Front-Bumper-Fog-Light-Clear-Glass-Lens-Harness-Switch-/171226427993?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:MR2&hash=item27dde3f259&vxp=mtr

Has anyone got these or have any opinion? Any input is appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
i got the yellow Ebay fog lights, at first i thought it would work but after i found out that the switch didn't work so what i did was using a toggle on/off switch, and high hot wire connected to the dash lights. to use my fog lights i have to turn on the interior night light then used the switch to turn of or off my fog lights.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought the same fogs from e-bay & couldn't be happier. Includes the complete harness & switch. All worked just fine including switch. I've read posts about these being poor quality, but I have to disagree. Especially for the price.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i bought the blacked out/smoked ones from ebay and i agree it was good quality the switch was a little loose but didnt fall out of the spot for it i used some rtv on the switch to get it more snug in the oem spot left of steering wheel.
I actually popped a hole in the back of the housing and put HID 10K white lights in mine since we never get fog here in oklahoma. I live by the river and still have seen fog like twice in 3 years..

good quality easy install

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ok Guys...I bought 4 sets of these "ebay lights" over the years. (like a lot of us I have multiple 2s) I admit for the price you cant beat them. But here are some issues that all 4 sets of mine had. 1. the bulbs that come with these lights are crap! They burn out easy and dont ground right inside the fog light housing itself..so they stop working! 2. The wiring that comes with these lights is to small to take the load of a typical replacement bulb. (meaning if you go get a replacement bulb from Autozone its typically higher wattage, which draws more .which causes the cheap wiring to get very hot! sometimes to the point you cant touch it...which is bad!) 3. The glass on the fog light itself is very thin and they crack really easy.. the slightest nick from a stone they will crack! I know now to put some 3M clear protective film over the glass...it works great and you cant tell its on there! Even with the cost of addressing these issues id say they are still a good buy. Hope this helps!

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Hah! That's my car pictured in the ad, which is ironic, because those are/were brand new OEM fogs when that picture was taken.

I've purchased a set of the eBay fogs in the past though. They're not horrible, but if you just throw them on, as is, without modifying them a little, they won't last long. As was already mentioned, the wiring is sub-par (try to reuse the wiring from a broken set of OEM fogs), the glass is a little bit thinner (add a layer of Lamin-x), and the worst offense of the eBay fogs is that they are not properly sealed. The sealant they use is barely there to begin with, but also doesn't hold up to the weather, or the heat of the lamp itself, and will eventually allow water in. They also lack the metal clips/clamps that hold the glass firmly to the housing. The result is MORE water and road debris getting in and that the glass can simply fall out once the seal completely fails.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A word to the wise, i kove my ebay fogs but replace the 30a amp fuse with a 15 and make sure all hot components inside the housings are well insulated. I had short and instead of the big 30 amp fuse popping it melted and was a pain in the the ass

·
6,742 Posts
Hah! That's my car pictured in the ad, which is ironic, because those are/were brand new OEM fogs when that picture was taken.

I've purchased a set of the eBay fogs in the past though. They're not horrible, but if you just throw them on, as is, without modifying them a little, they won't last long. As was already mentioned, the wiring is sub-par (try to reuse the wiring from a broken set of OEM fogs), the glass is a little bit thinner (add a layer of Lamin-x), and the worst offense of the eBay fogs is that they are not properly sealed. The sealant they use is barely there to begin with, but also doesn't hold up to the weather, or the heat of the lamp itself, and will eventually allow water in. They also lack the metal clips/clamps that hold the glass firmly to the housing. The result is MORE water and road debris getting in and that the glass can simply fall out once the seal completely fails.
Do they work with the pre-existing foglight wiring or would they have to be spliced in?

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Do they work with the pre-existing foglight wiring or would they have to be spliced in?
They would have to be spliced in, because the connectors on the replicas are different from the OEM connector. But, like I mentioned, I would suggest pulling the wiring from a broken OEM foglight and putting that into the replica housing. Everything about the wiring on the replica lights is sub-par...garbage to be blunt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts