MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

87 4Runner Turbo 22RTE auto 4wd
235,000 miles, and runs perfect! Its in great shape for a '87 too. minor rust on the fenders that I will clean up in the next few weeks. I don't see any holes, but if so I will look into some aftermarket fenders. Truck already has K&N cone filter, boost gauge and mbc. I just drove it home 3 hrs in a blizzard and it preformed above my expectations. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Planning to do a 3 inch turbo back custom exhaust with a high flow cat, rip out the a/c(doesn't work), fab up an intercooler setup - most likely use a stock mr2t core, and get a head unit in it. Then I'll throw it on the dyno to get some #'s and be sure its running good. Also would like to update the suspension, the rear has blocks because these are known for rear sag. After that who knows.

questions/comments/critisisms/suggestions welcome. What do you guys think about taking the stipes off? I can't decide. I'm also not feeling the aftermarket rear bumper.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
sorry to but in on local board.

i had an 88 4runner. great truck and over the snow it was awesome. just like as if it was floating. I did roll my 4runner (well the wife did when I was trying to sleep in back) in Montana. We flipped it back over, cleaned it up and continued the drive to WA. I miss that truck alot.

nice find, enjoy!

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
nice Mike!

I've got a spare stock IC sitting here. It's yours for hella cheap when you wanna this it!

+1 for a turbo DD. . .i'm trying to work it out so I get a 02-03 WRX Wagon for a DD since they can be had in the 12-13K range now. . .maybe by next winter, once the MR2 is paid for.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey that is cool!! I never knew they made a TURBO 4 Runner or truck. I think I found my replacement for the alltrac. I wonder if they came in red :) It's too bad you had to sell the pink panther or should I say the black panther:D I'm sure it was a tough decision.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's an engine pic, I will most likely remove that intake pipe and have it polished, theres alot of rust.

Digital cluster - I found it funny he put in the 35psi gauge and not the 20, I'll swap that out soon too.

Interior shot, look how clean it is! The steering wheel rim has typical wear, but the carpets and seats are still mint somehow.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
an altimiter and pitch and roll? is it an airplane or a 4runner? thats cool though, ive heard of the 22rte before theyre supposed to have some mean low end torque. awesome find.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unbelievable find! Congrats! :thumbup Has it been in IL long? Hard to imagine one of those not eaten up with rust around here. Always loved the body style of those.

So as far as bumper/stripes(just MHO)- I like tube style bumpers, but not big on chrome; I prefer black or maybe gunmetal powdercoat. But to pull off the look I think you need 'em all the way around; front bumper, side steps, etc. As for the stripes, I'm never into 'em. A heat gun or even a really good hair dryer and some polishing compound to clean up has always worked well for me. Keep in mind, that if you do take them off, you'll still see the "ghosts" of them in the paint, but ghost stripes can be pretty cool.

Anyway, congrats!

__
JD

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
oh btw are you still gonna pick up that CD player sometime?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts