MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Catalytics

I’ve never been a big fan of catalytic converters personally. I don’t believe that installing a blockage in the exhaust plasma of my pressurized engine (which was my race/street car) was something any sane owner would want to do on their own fruition.

None the less for you more tree hugger oriented owners (and you poor helpless souls in Calif., Oregon whatever) there may be a light at the end of your future tunnel. It’s called “Spinel”.

This Spinel has the possibility to cheapen cat sales in the near future. This new material promises to replace those “precious metals” which make outrageous cat prices so common.

I’m not going to relate the way-to-techy chemical talk, it’s out there if your interested. But, I’m happy to see inventors trying to reduce parts prices any way they can.

Motor Trend, March 2015, Frank Markus’s Techologue.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
A properly functioning cat is not a blockage or restriction. It will not reduce power or hinder performance. This has been proven time and again.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
I have seen several dyno tests on healthy stock MK1s with and without cats. They typically lose 1whp REMOVING the cat. Modern healthy cats flow quite well. On modern turbo cars or large displacement cars there is probably power to be gained by removing cats, BUT you could always just switch to hiflow cats and still be legal and clean.

This coming from someone that ran catless MK1s for 25 yrs...lol

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went out of my profession for 3 years to be import parts inventory manager for my race sponsor. My job was to inspect car parts for resale. (By law we could not resell cats) However, I inspected cats out of curiosity What I consistently found was heavily carboned front screens on the inside. The cats may have been catilizing but the flow had to have been affected by this gunk.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
I went out of my profession for 3 years to be import parts inventory manager for my race sponsor. My job was to inspect car parts for resale. (By law we could not resell cats) However, I inspected cats out of curiosity What I consistently found was heavily carboned front screens on the inside. The cats may have been catilizing but the flow had to have been affected by this gunk.
If your motor and CAT are functioning properly then there will not be enough buildup to cause a restriction. If it's not functioning properly then that is loosing you more than the cat it's self.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
When I gutted the cat on my '85 back in the early '90s the car had around 150,000 miles on it. You could see straight through the cat. looked clean as could be.
When I bought my '86 in 2004 it had 200,000 miles on it and the factory cat also looked clean as could be. You could see straight through it. No gunk, no build up

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have don some reading about the new none precious metal catalysts.
They seem to be focused on diesel trucks and their NO emissions.
I would like to know if the new materials will handle the HC and CO at least as well as the precious metal cats.
My car is good on NO and CO but is very close to the limit on HC, like within 2ppm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts