MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Stock, Ready to Ship!
UPDATE 11/11/15:

Parts are done, just need to be anodized. Brake lines / cables are on the way. Should be no more than two weeks out at this point. Hopefully less. More details in the rest of the thread, but this is a quite different kit than the one I originally described in this post. Four piston Wilwood calipers front and rear, with a separate mechanical parking brake caliper.

Regular prices on the complete kits will be $820 with the parking brake setup, or $700 without. But, like I said originally, in lieu of a "group buy" I will be doing a special introductory price on these, $100 off of the above prices.

So here's the deal. I have 9 kits worth of parts. The special prices will be valid until the parts are ready to ship, or those 9 kits are sold, whichever comes first. Order on my website at http://wilhelmraceworks.com/lightweight-big-brakes

One caveat on this first run of parts. There is one small area of casting line on the rear knuckles that may need to be ground or filed down just slightly to clear the caliper brackets. It's a minor issue that should take no more than a few minutes with a file, or a few seconds with a dremel or angle grinder, but I don't want anyone to be surprised.

For years I have wanted to convert my Supra / RX8 rotor based BBK to a two-piece rotor setup to drop some weight, but always found them far to cost prohibitive. $225 rotors?? No thank you!

So I decided to downsize slightly. By dropping to a 12.19" rotor (vs the 12.72" Supra / RX8 rotors) you get into the world of circle track racing, and the parts get cheap. Rotors as low ~$50 each.

Rotors are 1.25" thick in the front, .81" thick in the rear, 8x7.00" bolt pattern.

Rotor hats are custom made, specifically designed for this application. If one wanted to spend the money on the slightly larger rotors, you could even use these hats to replicate a Supra / RX8 sized rotor to use in an existing kit. The hats will be available separately. Mine are a little more heavily scalloped, and end up weighing slightly less than the Wilwoods.

Depending on which rotors you chose, weight reduction compared to the Supra / RX8 based setup is 7-8lb per corner. That's ~30lb of rotating / unsprung weight off of the car. The rotors are actually about 3-3.5lb per corner lighter than stock 93+ turbo rotors. If you can find an easier way to drop that kind of weight (aside from the *really* easy stuff), I want to hear about it!

My kit consists of:
-Aluminum brackets to mount Wilwood FSL calipers front and rear.
-Aluminum brackets for Wilwood MC4 mechanical parking brake calipers
-Aluminum rotor hats all around
-Brake lines for the front and rear
-All necessary hardware including drilled head bolts for attaching the rotors to the hats. (Safety wire STRONGLY recommended)

As with everything else I make, all of my custom parts are made in the USA!

The hats and brackets where designed / analyzed for 1.4g deceleration, with the goal being no stresses greater than the 500 million cycle fatigue strength of aluminum. I ended up with a safety factor of about 2x on that fatigue strength.

You will need to purchase rotors, calipers, and pads of your choice. Suggested part numbers can be found on my website.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Hey Alex! You've got your front rotor in the pic rotating in the wrong direction. :) Check the vanes and the rotational arrow in the disc.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything listed above under "my kit will consist of".

Brackets front and rear, rotor hats front and rear, front brake lines, and all hardware.

You would then need to purchase the actual rotor (the iron ring that bolts to the aluminum hat), Wilwood FSL (Forged Super Light) calipers for the front, 93+ MR2 Turbo calipers for the rear, and pads for the front and rear.

I also strongly recommend purchasing a pair of safety wire pliers and some safety wire to tie off the rotor bolts. You *really* don't want those coming loose.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Alex! You've got your front rotor in the pic rotating in the wrong direction. :) Check the vanes and the rotational arrow in the disc.
haha, I wondered who would be the first to point that out! I just grabbed a rotor for test fitting without caring if it was a right or a left, it's not permanent.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Any chance of using the Wilwood two piston E-brake caliper that the other kit comes with? My ideal is still the 4 piston rear and parking brake that Revolution has but, price is a very, very big factor. It always seems there's always something wanting my money...

Nice to think a bit outside the box though Alex! I think this is a really nice kit at an awesome price!

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Any chance of using the Wilwood two piston E-brake caliper that the other kit comes with? My ideal is still the 4 piston rear and parking brake that Revolution has but, price is a very, very big factor. It always seems there's always something wanting my money...

Nice to think a bit outside the box though Alex! I think this is a really nice kit at an awesome price!
Unless there is a Wilwood e-brake caliper that I am not aware of, it's only a single piston. Functionally, it's pretty much the same as the stock caliper I believe. They are a bit lighter, so that's something. But they are quite expensive for minimal performance improvement. Granted, if you have to buy re-manufactured 93T calipers, they are quite expensive as well. However, they are something I might look into as another option later this winter. It would be easy enough to offer as an option.

One advantage to them that I DO see is, the pads are one that is used by about a million VW/Audi cars, making replacement pads a bit cheaper than they are for the MR2 caliper.

Would this retain the e-brake? work with 16" wheels or would 17" be necessary?
The rear calipers are stock 93+ MR2 Turbo calipers, so the e-brake is totally stock. They should fit 16" wheels quite easily, depending on wheel offset. My Supra / RX8 rotor setup just barely fits 16s in the front (never tried them in the back), and these rotors are just over 1/2" smaller.

However, the calipers are pushed out a little bit. About 1/8" in the front (compared to the Supra rotor kits on the market), and 3/8" in the rear compared to the stock caliper placement. All of the wheels I have test fit (down to a 17x8+42) have loads of clearance around the rear caliper, so I don't see that being an issue for most people. The fronts, some wheels might need a spacer to clear the caliper.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
Was this based around your 1.38 FSL and NA prop valve? or the larger 1.62/turbo prop valve? Sorry, viewing from my iPad and not near my comp that has the brake cqlculator.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was this based around your 1.38 FSL and NA prop valve? or the larger 1.62/turbo prop valve? Sorry, viewing from my iPad and not near my comp that has the brake cqlculator.
The 1.38 / NA prop valve is the more ideal setup, but if someone has a turbo and doesn't want to swap out the valve, I would recommend the 1.62. I wish Wilwood had a caliper in between those two. It's the biggest gap in their entire range, and our cars fall right in the middle of it.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Production parts are done! And everything fits. My machinist anodized one set for me, but he doesn't do large scale anodizing so I need to send the rest off to get that done. Also planning on running these at a track day next weekend (most likely Miller Motorsports Park in Utah), just to make sure everything works as planned.

More teaser pics

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably another 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Alex, hit me up if you want to go grab a beer after your track day! I live ~30 minutes from Miller. I'm sure I could get that Luni guy out of his cave for a beer too!

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
can I put the payment down now to secure a spot?
I wasn't planning on doing any down payments for this, but I will make sure you get a kit at the intro price, even if I end up extending that price to more than the first four.

Alex, hit me up if you want to go grab a beer after your track day! I live ~30 minutes from Miller. I'm sure I could get that Luni guy out of his cave for a beer too!
Sure! That or (and) you guys should stop by the track and say hello. I will be there Saturday and Sunday.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Make some radial mounts so I can use my AP calipers.. although I'd have to do the math on those to see how the bias changes.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts