MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
These fuses are bolt in type. Maybe you touched it to the chassis when changing the alternator or it blew on the old alternator.
Noticed there was a plastic tab at the end of the "row" of those larger fuses. I'm assuming you just push that in and you should be able to push the fuses out that way to replace the main fuse?

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
I believe there was an entry stating that large gauge wire to alternator was good because it sparked when it touched ground (as battery was not disconnected). If so, then that's a good way to blow the fuse!
That's how I blew my fuse. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I believe there was an entry stating that large gauge wire to alternator was good because it sparked when it touched ground (as battery was not disconnected). If so, then that's a good way to blow the fuse!
Yeah now that you mention that, I definitely realize why it blew. When I was mounting the alternator to the bracket, my break bar touched the alternator plug. Forgot to disconnect the battery and it made some sparks at the plug. That had to be what blew it

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
You have to unbolt the fuse box, drop the base off it and unbolt the fuse. It doesn't just clip in place.
See the bolt holes.
View attachment 83297
Got the new fuse in yesterday and did a test from EA4 to ground and had voltage. Got it started up today and the gauges work this time around, the battery gauge is looking good, there's no battery light on anymore, and I had a little above 14 volts at the battery. Think it's all fixed now! Appreciate the help so much!
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Speedometer Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
my god... that's just crazy lol. what's causing those issues?
Most were because MR2. Some were user error and some were confusing to why it happened.
They just like eating alternators. This topic is massive when it comes to the SW chassis.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts