MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Been a long time coming but I am finally working on this build post. The car is in no way shape or form complete, but, it is running and has been for months. I would like to think that the drivetrain is 90 percent complete and the rest of the car is mostly stock. Drivetrain will be completed next time engine is out to paint. Time to post! It is going to be a long one.

I picked the car up with a pretty bad knock in Oregon, south of Portland. There it was, my 1989 MR2 SC. It had knock when I got it and I knew that going in to the purchase. It had about 110 thousand miles on it at the time.I then had it towed home back to Washington, north of Seattle. There, it sat in my garage for about 6 months. In this time I went back and forth on whether I would be doing the work myself or having a shop work on it. Well, as life would have it, too many events came up and I kept putting it off. Plus, the build began to leave the scope of the work that I could do. So onto a trailer and off to the shop it went.

It started with removal of the engine and a full tear down and inspection. That's where the destroyed rod was found. At this point, I had two options. Get a used engine and throw it in as is. Or, what I went with, take what I had and completely rebuild every aspect of it.

Head:
all new seals and gaskets
cylinder head surface, grind valves, replace valve stem seals, adjust valves
new camshafts (crower stage 2 forced induction)
new valve springs (crower)
ARP head studs

Block:
all new seals and gaskets
engine block clean, surface, bore, hone, and paint
new crank shaft
new connecting rods (brian crower sportsman)
new pistons (brian crower CP)
new oil pump (corolla high flow)
new water pump
ARP main studs

Fuel/Ignition:
new cap, rotor, and ignition wires
walbro 255lph fuel pump
msd ignition blaster 2 coil
rc 550cc injectors
corolla throttle body

Forced Induction:
air to water intercooler, heat exchanger, pump, and reservoir tank
corolla fwd intake manifold
SC 14 supercharger
custom brackets and intake
NST pulley set
bosch idle speed control valve

Tuning:
aem ems 4 engine management system and tuning
aem map sensor
full tuning

Other:
exhaust vacuum scavenger kit
fidanza aluminum flywheel
exedy stage 1 clutch
4ag oil pan baffle kit
aem gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, boost, air to fuel)
SV3 Power modified black top header
SV3 Power downpipe
Vibrant 2.5" resonator
Magnaflow 12640 exhaust
Magnaflow 35136 tip
EBC Redstuff front and rear brake pads
Stoptech front and rear slotted rotors
Goodridge braided brake lines

A lot of hard work and time went into the car. Thanks to Steve, Cam, and the guys at Ishii Motors for that. Wouldn't have any of this without them. I recommend their shop to anyone, for any thing really. They really are top notch.

The end result? 215 HP and 199 Torque to the wheels. A long process but in my opinion well worth it. But, now its time to get the rest of the car up to par with its engine. Pics below. Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

·
MR2 Hoarder
5,087 Posts
Damn....great looking dyno.Nice build. I also hope to break the 200hp mark with my sc in the next few months. Congrats

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Nice car. Should be a blast to drive. I have 1 question. Since you went with stand alone engine management why did you stay with the pita distributor and not go crank fired. If I ever get to turbo my smallport that is 1 thing im looking forward to. Getting rid of the pita leaky dizzy.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
Man throw some cams in that thing please! Nice 200 RWHP mark broken by a good amount congrats!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
What are the fittings in the exhaust pipe by the muffler.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
What are the fittings in the exhaust pipe by the muffler.
this:

Other:
exhaust vacuum scavenger kit
fidanza aluminum flywheel
exedy stage 1 clutch
4ag oil pan baffle kit
aem gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, boost, air to fuel)
SV3 Power modified black top header
SV3 Power downpipe
Vibrant 2.5" resonator
Magnaflow 12640 exhaust
Magnaflow 35136 tip
EBC Redstuff front and rear brake pads
Stoptech front and rear slotted rotors
Goodridge braided brake lines

·
Registered
919 Posts
Wow that's some great work there. Definitely a lot of time and effort invested. You should bring this thing to the beach meet in Sep because I'd love to see it!

What's with the springed baffles in the oil pan?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts