MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something im not that clued up on is standalone engine management, I have read the info on RickyB's website, but id like some actual feedback from people who own these products and any others that people can comment on.

Im leaning towards a Nemesis 2, but was talking to a friend whos bought an AEM and had alot of good things to say about it, but as I say id like some actual feedback and how user friendly it is towards someone like myself who is wanting to learn about it.

I have the mods below, but am looking for an EMS and 850 injectors to finish it off for the rest of this year till I decide what to do after that. My plan was to buy a Nemesis with wideband.

Any info will be appriciated!

Graeme

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have the AEM EMS and the AEM UEGO wideband...its a little more pricey, but im 100% satisified with it....

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
I'd get the Nemesis. It's technically superior to the AEM, with technology that is years newer, and the support provided by Ricky and Matt is invaluable. Nobody at AEM is going to know MR2's the way those two guys do, because nobody at AEM DRIVES an MR2.

Ricky was able to street tune JSantesson's 400+RWHP monster to 20PSI on pump, in about an hour, using the onboard WBO2 setup.

Best regards,

Ken

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, id like to be able to street tune my own car, thats why i wanted the wideband with it aswell. A friend of mine does have a nemesis but he hasnt had much chance to do anything with it really.

Ken: Is it possible for people to help you remotly in tuning the engine? As in can you download information from the nemesis and get opinions from other people on here like ricky on what to do with the fuelling ignition etc.

There isnt alot of people around here this far into it, and certainly not many rolling roads available for regular playing around. There is somewhere i can take it to get tuned who are very knowledgable and ive heard many good reports, but id like to think it was possible to tweak the car myself

Graeme

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Hi Graeme,
It's certainly possible to datalog the Nemesis while making a pull, and then send the file to Ricky for his opinion. From my limited experience with tuning the Nemesis, that would be fairly cumbersome though, because you are usually making a lot of changes to lots of different cells, especially at first. The thing to do is get someone else to drive the car for you, whilst you watch the AFR on the laptop to ensure you don't go lean, and datalogging the run. Afterward, you can look at the datalog and see where you were rich, and where you were lean.

You compare that to the fuel table, which shows the injector open time in milliseconds. In an area where you are very rich, you would reduce the open time in that load cell by a small amount, then do another pull to see how the change affected the AFR in that particular cell. Typically you are changing many load cells each time between runs. You'll start to get a feel for how much of a reduction or increase in open time will affect the AFR, so you'll eventually be able to make larger changes, reducing the amount of time needed to tune.

Obviously you will want to start at the lowest possible boost level, and gradually tune to higher boost as you become more proficient with the software. The key is to make small changes at first, and analyze what effect they are having on the engine.

Best regards,

Ken

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I haven't tried the AEM but I do have a Nemisis. The install was very easy, it does every thing I want and there are lots of other people running them on MR2s incase I run into trouble.

and the support provided by Ricky and Matt is invaluable.
You really can't hammer that point home enough in my opinion. I am in the same boat as you ^Trickster^ in that there are few good tuners around here and none will touch either the AEM or the Nemis. I sleep a whole lot better at night knowing Ricky and Matt are my technical support guys than I ever would with some random voice at the end of the AEM line.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Not to insult anyone ... But Kblake arent you a distributor or has connections with RickyB ??? I mean I have met RickyB and his knows his $#!T.. I'm just saying seems like this thread is filled with people that is using the Hydra Nemesis ...

Have hardly any AEM ems guys ... I mean figure it out ... Any ems is as good as your tuner...

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Indeed, but none has the user base(3sgte) as the nemesis, as far as standalone goes.
And it shows good results.
So you can go with any EMS you like, but be prepered to find a good tuner outside the confines of this board...

T

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
^Trickster^ said:
Thanks for the replies, id like to be able to street tune my own car, thats why i wanted the wideband with it aswell. A friend of mine does have a nemesis but he hasnt had much chance to do anything with it really.

Ken: Is it possible for people to help you remotly in tuning the engine? As in can you download information from the nemesis and get opinions from other people on here like ricky on what to do with the fuelling ignition etc.

There isnt alot of people around here this far into it, and certainly not many rolling roads available for regular playing around. There is somewhere i can take it to get tuned who are very knowledgable and ive heard many good reports, but id like to think it was possible to tweak the car myself
There are several folks on this board who have had success learning to tune their own cars. I've been slowly working on the Nemesis tuning primer specifically for those folks. I recommend attending a course such as that offered by the EFI institute first to get a solid understanding of the process. Then with the careful use of an integrated wideband you can start with a base map such as those that I program into each Nemesis and tune the fuel and timing maps to get the best drivability, fuel efficiency and performance out of your unique setup. It is not for everyone, but if you are properly inclined and motivated the rewards can be tremendous.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Wraith said:
Not to insult anyone ... But Kblake arent you a distributor or has connections with RickyB ??? I mean I have met RickyB and his knows his $#!T.. I'm just saying seems like this thread is filled with people that is using the Hydra Nemesis ...

Have hardly any AEM ems guys ... I mean figure it out ... Any ems is as good as your tuner...
None taken. I was the Nemesis dealer for the Pacific NW when I was with KO Racing. I'm not anymore. Ricky, Aaron and I *have* had discussions about ATS selling the Nemesis in TX. Graeme is in the UK, however, so I am not able to sell to him, he'll have to order from Ricky and Matt. That makes me pretty much unbiased. In any case, the people who make the most from the sale of an EMS are the manufacturers. The dealers are expected to make their money installing and tuning the EMS.

I'm also good friends with John Reed, from Torque Freaks. Torque Freaks are one of the premier AEM tuning resources in the world. John has been flown to locations like Italy and Germany, not to mention all over the United States to tune AEM's, mostly on Supras, but he's done a fair number of MR2's as well. The only advantage I would say that the AEM has over the Nemesis right now is that it's a mature product, and the software is very refined, where the Nemesis still has the occasional growing pain, where someone finds an inadequacy in the way it can be programmed, and the Nemesis developers have to implement a change to address this.

I'm recommending the Nemesis for exactly the reason JVillain stated. Graeme will get far better (MR2 specific) tech support from Ricky and Matt, than from some nameless AEM Tech.

Best regards,

Ken

·
Registered
421 Posts
I researched them both and was leaning towards the Nemesis but ultimately if you are like me and don't have the skills to tune it then you need to rely on a tuner that you trust. My local tuner has tuned dozens of AEM units and some are on MR2's.
I think for where my car is at mod wise , my most valuable asset is my tuner.

later
Gary

·
Registered
170 Posts
^Trickster^ said:
Something im not that clued up on is standalone engine management, I have read the info on RickyB's website, but id like some actual feedback from people who own these products and any others that people can comment on.
Graeme
Graeme,

its paul here from over in Hartlepool, I will be able to give you some feedback on the AEM very shortly as i'm just about to install mine along with 850's and wideband.

One of the things people in the UK don't realise is the AEM isn't plug and play into a Jpsec loom like we have, looking at it quickly i think there is about 10 wires need swapping over, I personally was going for the nemesis but got a deal on the AEM i couldn't turn down.

once i get it up and running i'll give you a shout and you can have a look at it.

paul

p.s. i'll give you a ring next week about them seats, completely forgot about them

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am not sure calling the Nemesis "technically superior to the AEM" is quite accurate. Ken may be referring to the peak/hold injector drivers, which are indeed superior to the AEM's saturated drivers. Having said that, I have never had a problem idling 1,200cc injectors and aggressive cams with an AEM.

Having to buy seperate sensors is listed as a drawback, but not for me. I would prefer to pick my sensors. With the AEM, run any sensor you want. With the Nemesis, you can get the onboard wideband. What if you want a display? Buy another wideband. The AEM can take input from any wideband out there, so again, you get to pick what you want. That way you do not have to drag your laptop out to see what the air/fuel ratio is.

The AEM software is simply light years ahead of the Nemesis, and quite frankly, most other EMS systems I have used. (And the list of systems I have experience with is quite long.) The AEM has a lot of features most people do not know about, and that the Nemesis does not have. For example, ever hear of boost compensation tuning? I am sure the AEM guys have, and once you have tuned a turbo car with this strategy, you will never go back to the traditional 3D mapping of the boost zone. MoTec also has this same fueling strategy in their software. I could go on for pages comparing the software, and the AEM will come out ahead. And that doesn't include the logging analysis software. The AEMLog program makes the Nemesis logger look very 1970's. :)

Now this is no way a slam at MRControls, as they do provide very dedicated support to the MR2 community, and that may be something very important in your decision when buying an EMS.

Just my $.02 Keep in mind, I do not profit from selling any engine management system, I just tune them.

John Reed
TorqueFreaks Inc.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Hi John,

John Reed said:
I am not sure calling the Nemesis "technically superior to the AEM" is quite accurate. Ken may be referring to the peak/hold injector drivers, which are indeed superior to the AEM's saturated drivers. Having said that, I have never had a problem idling 1,200cc injectors and aggressive cams with an AEM.
John Reed
TorqueFreaks Inc.
I was referring to that, and the higher resolution in the maps (32x32 vs. 20x17?) the dual processors vs. the single processor, and the fact that it can be reconfigured to work with different model years in the field.

John Reed said:
The AEM software is simply light years ahead of the Nemesis, and quite frankly, most other EMS systems I have used. (And the list of systems I have experience with is quite long.) The AEM has a lot of features most people do not know about, and that the Nemesis does not have.

John Reed
TorqueFreaks Inc.
Yes, I'm aware of some of them, mostly from you bringing them up :) That is what I meant when I said:

KBlake said:
and the software is very refined, where the Nemesis still has the occasional growing pain, where someone finds an inadequacy in the way it can be programmed, and the Nemesis developers have to implement a change to address this.
I'm not slamming the AEM, I just think that in Graeme's case, he will get better support from Ricky than he would from AEM. That might be a different story if you were the one answering the phone at AEM :p

Best regards,

Ken

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, the support can be a very critical point in the decision making process when buying an EMS.

I know you were not slamming the AEM, and even if you were it really doesn't affect me. :) But other people may not realize just how powerful the software and logging of the AEM are.

Enough time on the forum. I need to get tuning on your car. :smile:

·
Registered
685 Posts
John Reed said:

Having to buy seperate sensors is listed as a drawback, but not for me. I would prefer to pick my sensors. With the AEM, run any sensor you want. With the Nemesis, you can get the onboard wideband. What if you want a display? Buy another wideband. The AEM can take input from any wideband out there, so again, you get to pick what you want. That way you do not have to drag your laptop out to see what the air/fuel ratio is.

The AEM software is simply light years ahead of the Nemesis, and quite frankly, most other EMS systems I have used. (And the list of systems I have experience with is quite long.) The AEM has a lot of features most people do not know about, and that the Nemesis does not have. For example, ever hear of boost compensation tuning? I am sure the AEM guys have, and once you have tuned a turbo car with this strategy, you will never go back to the traditional 3D mapping of the boost zone. MoTec also has this same fueling strategy in their software. I could go on for pages comparing the software, and the AEM will come out ahead. And that doesn't include the logging analysis software. The AEMLog program makes the Nemesis logger look very 1970's. :)

Now this is no way a slam at MRControls, as they do provide very dedicated support to the MR2 community, and that may be something very important in your decision when buying an EMS.

Just my $.02 Keep in mind, I do not profit from selling any engine management system, I just tune them.

John Reed
TorqueFreaks Inc.

John;

You will be tunning my car very soon ... You and Sean McElderry is the reason why I'm shipping my car from Rowland Hieghts California, all the way to Portland Oregon to your shop... I basically need you guys to do some wiring of the AEM EMS, wideband and the cdi, drivability tune ( no power tuning just yet need to break in the motor) and NOS system install for me... And then I'll drive it down back down and as soon as the motor is broken in ... I'll fly you down to LA for some power tunning and some dyno sessions...
Sean knows about my car because of the weird setup I have I want to bring it to torquefreaks.com ... And this is the same reason why its taking me soo long to get this project finished... I hope to be working with you soon...

respectfully;
Justin C.
"Wraith"

·
Registered
342 Posts
Justin,

I look forward to working with you, and tuning your car. I remember Sean speaking briefly about your project, and asking me some questions. I do not recall the details of your set up however.

Keep in touch, and let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

John

·
Registered
562 Posts
i agree with John Reed i have an AEM and it has a ton of stuff you do with it . i have a FJO wibeband wired to it. and i dont need my laptop to log pulls. using the the boost comp table makes tuning much easier...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts