MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 89 s/c and it needs suspension. I've seen a lot of conflicting things, it seems the Eibach pros are the way to go on springs(maybe I'm wrong on that) but I can't seem to find those anywhere. Also everyone seems to have a different opinion on which struts are best, I've seen a lot of bad about the GR-2's and I've kind of been looking at the KONI yellows. I don't plan on racing the car or anything and I don't want a super rough ride but also not too soft. What should I be getting.

·
Super Moderator
5,457 Posts
If your springs aren't broken, you can keep them unless you want to lower your ride. Just refresh your strut mounts (if you can find them new) and replace your shocks.

If Koni shocks are available for your SC, I'd definitely get those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your springs aren't broken, you can keep them unless you want to lower your ride. Just refresh your strut mounts (if you can find them new) and replace your shocks.

If Koni shocks are available for your SC, I'd definitely get those.
How would you say the ride is on the Koni's?

·
Super Moderator
5,457 Posts
Koni shocks are an adjustable damper, so you can dial in from soft city driving to firm track ready.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I highly recommend the yellow koni strut inserts, I believe there’s someone over on the fraudbook mr2 mk1 group selling a complete new front & rear set just have to search a bit because I forgot the sellers info.
I had konis on my mk2 mr2 and ride quality was excellent, comfortable over bumps n pot holes. I’ve had kyb gr-2 and agx struts before and those dont last they fail prematurely and I guarantee you’ll definitely find out right away once they’re worn out, harsh bumpy noisy ride going over even the slightest cracks on the road you feel hear all the freakin road noise they’re horrible and annoying hard on the rest of your suspension,steering, bushings, joints, tires etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I highly recommend the yellow koni strut inserts, I believe there’s someone over on the fraudbook mr2 mk1 group selling a complete new front & rear set just have to search a bit because I forgot the sellers info.
I had konis on my mk2 mr2 and ride quality was excellent, comfortable over bumps n pot holes. I’ve had kyb gr-2 and agx struts before and those dont last they fail prematurely and I guarantee you’ll definitely find out right away once they’re worn out, harsh bumpy noisy ride going over even the slightest cracks on the road you feel hear all the freakin road noise they’re horrible and annoying hard on the rest of your suspension,steering, bushings, joints, tires etc.
My biggest problem with the Koni's is the price, I'd much rather not spend $800 on just struts and accompanying hardware

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think the addage is "Affordable, Reliable, and Performance... pick two".

It's 800$ for nice Koni struts, or 200$ for cheap KYB ones, or $800 for cheap coilovers. They're old cars and you don't have a lot of options, and suspension and rubber are two places it's not recommended to skimp.

The KYB will be fine, but they're OEM replacements so they'll be pretty soft and springy.
The Koni are worth the price, I run them soft for groceries or picking up the wife from the train, and crank them firm when I'm going for a fun ride, and they feel great both ways.
Cheap coils (Ksport, eBay no-name) will give ""performance"" (lowered and stiff) and be cheap, but they don't have good reputations and don't feel as nice as Konis or expensive coilovers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts