MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i ordered the full bushing kit as well as the ball join/tie rod kit and going to get all that replaced in march.

My question is this, my car has 200k+ its a 91, and im planning on getting the Tokico Illuminas with H&R springs. Do i need to get anything else to replace my suspension components? Would it benefit me to get new sway bars? Or can i just order my springs and struts and could be done with everything.

And yes i do autox this car.

BTW what size is the stock sway bar on the 91? 19mm?

Greg.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
There are multiple sizes of sway bar on 91s. Fronts are all around 19mm, but vary by 1-2mm.
Rears are in the 17 neighborhood, and also vary.

You probably want to make sure you order new rubber strut boots, but otherwise
I think you're set.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hillman said:
There are multiple sizes of sway bar on 91s. Fronts are all around 19mm, but vary by 1-2mm.
Rears are in the 17 neighborhood, and also vary.

You probably want to make sure you order new rubber strut boots, but otherwise
I think you're set.
NVM

Greg.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I did find something interesting when researching my suspension upgrade. There is a fiber dust seal that goes (in front) between the strut hat and the spring perch on top and coveres the bottom of the hat to prevent grit from getting into the bearings. The same dust seal can also be installed between the rear hat and the bump stop.

The dust seal is basically a large flat fiber washer. The toyota P/N is 90080-38148 - I purchased mine from Tom at PartzNet: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=840. I usually just call them for stuff that doesn't show up online.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
You're probably not going to want to put your stock endlinks back on, after/if you manage to remove them. Search on something like "endlink allen wrench" for details, but ordering new ones would be smart... especially if you wind up with bigger bars on the car.

I wouldn't waste money on the strut tops, unless they're broken.

·
Premium Member
13,141 Posts
"If it ain't broke, dont fix it" By that I mean, check your ball joints and tie rod ends. I was going to replace mine, but i pulled the wheels off and there was ZERO play between the hub and the suspension, everything was nice and tight. So I decided against it. Either someone had already done them at some point in the cars life, or they were just in really good shape.

Either way, if they are good, no reason to replace them. Same goes for strut mounts. Of course, those are hard to check with the suspension put together. If you can afford to possibly have the car appart for a few days pull things apart, check parts, and then decide if you need to replace anything. (assuming you are doing the work youself).

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Their worn, i don't know if they were ever replaced, frankly i don't care. Id be more satisfied knowing that it is new, rather than guessing wether the PO did change them or not. You might consider it a waste, i consider it a investment and piece of mind.

Greg.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
MortICi said:
Should i get new endlinks and strut mounts as well?

Greg.
Definitely a yes on the end links - order them for a 93+ turbo. Those end links are more robust than the earlier and NA versions.

I would replace the strut mounts if they are showing signs of wear. Mine were showing some cracking in the rubber, and when I pulled them off the car, the left front had a bit of play in the bearing as well. Or you could just replace them and plan on not worrying about them for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
order them for a 93+ turbo
Doesn't matter what you order them for... the early, skinny ones have been superceded by the stronger ones. You can't buy the skinny ones anymore.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question how do sway bars affect my car, for instance if i were to get 93 sway bars what would be the benefit/loss? If i do get them ill order new adjustable endlinks.

Greg.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Slightly larger/smaller stock sway bars are useful for balancing under/oversteer. You need to see how your car handles with the new springs first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts