MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone "recommend" a smog place for me? I have a jdm engine...so yeah. Please dont post anything about that in this thread, just email me directly at [email protected] ...don't want to get anyone in trouble. Thanks guys! Additionally...

Alot of you guys seem to know what is going on with the law, so maybe you can answer this question for me. I'm taking over the title from my parents soon and my smog is due around August. I was planning on NOT doing it through family transfer so that I have to get the car smogged first. I am basically paranoid that I might get a "test only" smog this year. So if I get the car smogged for the "sale" would this smog be valid for another 2 years? I know I would have to pay the new owner tax, but I think it would be worth it. Any comments?

·
Registered
488 Posts
If your car is a pre 93 and lower you will recieve the "test only" test and will have to do it every year. I'm sure that there will be some members that will help you out. Where are you located?

Isaac

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
every year now?? wow...
im in redondo beach but willing to drive. The car is registered in northern california, and I know normally you have to get the car smogged in the same area. But for a "smog certificate" used in a transaction, it shouldn't matter right?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
most "friendly" places are test only, so that wouldnt be a problem. I never get my cars smogged in the same area.... but i dont go to the same place twice.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I dont know about every year, cause I had a test only last year and this year im just payin for registration.

·
Burbank's fastest AW11
14,473 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
my mr2 is an 89 and I don't have to test only. Some people get it other people don't. SIn't california great?

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
'88 SC been test only the last 2 years in a row. I'm told the SC are every year now. Most turbos are test only as well.

Do the transfer now. Don't wait till august. If you wait it may be test only. If you smog it now then you can go anywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts