MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Need oversize pully info

580 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  87na 
#1 · (Edited)
Need oversize pulley info

Hi all
Thanks to everyone who has answered my other threads. I have been looking at who I should get my Pulley from. I have read about the problems with the NST tensioners, but everyone who has the kit seems to be happy with it.
How about Nevo kits? Haven't been able to find a price on this kit yet.
I also found a kit on toyz-unlimited.com. It's a boost junkE kit. Has anyone every heard of these kits or has installed one on their AGZE?
Let me who made your pulley that boosts you AGZE!!!!!

Need to make my decision in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks
MLD
89SC

#7 · (Edited)
The Nevo is the best big kit available as far as quality goes. It is built with higher strength aluminum and is lighter. The kit also includes a new timing pointer. Power increase from the 5 extra millimeters is debateable since the 175 variants are already pushing the SC12 way out of its efficient operating range. If you notice, NST claims 1 PSI less than the Nevo. I have seen 14 PSI with the Nevo maybe a handful of times, I run 13 consistently on a cool SC and IC.

But you pay for quality, the Nevo 175mm kit runs around $350 new.

:thumbup

#8 ·
I dont know about the NEVO being lighter... I have an NST and I have no problems with it, Its great....as far as their web site quote is concerned, I think they just mentioned it for the people that just want to see high boost on their gauge but in reality there are so many variables when it comes to boost. So it was more of a better safe then sorry type of thing. If people still run into issues with their idlers(which I doubt), NST has some of the best customer service around, and Im sure that they will be willing to work something out. From my understanding, no one has had any issues with their new idler setup.....

yea sure NEVO uses 7075 and NST uses 6061, but give me a good reason why as to why its not more then just spilting hairs in this situation....

#10 ·
mister2sc88 said:
yea sure NEVO uses 7075 and NST uses 6061, but give me a good reason why as to why its not more then just spilting hairs in this situation....
Piece of mind.

It was posted not too long ago that a SC can rob around 40HP at the crank. With an overdrive pulley, especially 180mm, its going to multiply that load at the crank and keyway considerably. I don't have to worry about metal fatigue and failure as much knowing my pulley was made with higher grade aluminum, especially when I'm tearing it up at high RPMs.

#13 ·
^Yup, and a possible blown crank snout while flying down the freeway is not something I care to deal with. If I'm gonna be stuck on the side of the road, I'd much rather have gone out with dignity by throwing a rod or something, instead of aftermarket part failure. ;)

#14 ·
From what I hear, there are a ton of people using NST pulley kits around here, I think it would be safe to say at least 20 people? And I think 2 of those people had failures with their tensioners. What did NST do? They replaced those tensioners free of charge. This is all according to those 2 users themselves so I am not pulling this info out my A$$!!! :angel:
The rest of us have been running NST stuff for a long time now with no problems. And on the topic of tensioner failure, I have even heard of people with the Cusco and Nevo kits who have had to BUY new tensioners eventually because they broke off, so this seems to be a common problem no matter who you buy from. I think I will stick to my NST stuff and let them replace it for FREE if and when it ever fails :)

On the topic of strength and keyway problems, as 86AW11 and others have said, this is mostly due to old and worn crank bolts and keys, not the pulley itself. The NST stuff is not any heavier than Nevo, they are both very similar. And the difference in strenght between T7 and T6 aluminum is pretty much only a theoretical difference, on paper, and does not necessarily translate to real life in the case of our engine. You get to a point where the difference in strenght is not necessary and is hardly even noticeable.

Bottom line, both pulley kits are very good and both companies have great people running them. For me, it comes down to the fact that I like the NST repps I have been in contact with, they have awesome customer service, and i want to help support a US company that builds and operates out of the USA :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.