MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you using AN fittings, how much tape did you use? I'm having a hell of a time getting my oil feed line to seal, I've re-done it 4 times this week and it still leaks. Even when out and got new fittings and it didn't fix the leakage, it leaks right at the joint between the male and female fittings. Any tips??

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Hit up a hardware store or a plumbing store. They have a good selection of rubber washers (some tapered) for faucets and such.
You will be fine on teh temperature range.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Not sure what you?re talking about could go into a little more detail

I did my so called race cars Oil system with all steal braided hose & AN fittings but I did not use any Teflon tape I used Teflon pipe sealant

I also replaced my street cars oil lines with steal braided line after I found out the dealer wanted like $70 for the factory oil cooler line

Davegt27

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Davegt27, the line leaks right between the 2 fittings, one is a bulk head fitting and the other is a hose end and it just doesn't seal. I used the teflon tape with about 3 wraps each time but it leaked. Where did you get that pipe sealant and how long does it take to seal?

·
Registered
217 Posts
first off, if you're talking about the BLOCK side fitting (where the sender goes into), its 1/8th BSPT, not NPT, so if you're using an NPT fitting it will NOT seal. As for tape, it should cover the threads twice, keeping in mind that you need so have it going in the correct direction so that when you thread the fitting in, it will not unwind the tape. I've had good success with the teflon putty also, it works quite well with oil.

Second, in your last post, if I'm reading it right you're saying the leak is in between the AN adapter (i.e. 1/8th bspt to 3AN) and the hose end itself, then DO NOT use teflon tape on those threads. The seal on an AN fitting is the aluminum angle and not the threads, if you put tape on those it will not seal right.

Mike

·
Registered
3,217 Posts

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
I was doing a lot of hydraulic installation at my last job. 3000 psi stainless steel braided hose and stainles piping with a working pressure of 1500 psi. All fittings were stainless. If the fittings you are using are aluminum or brass they are soft, make sure you don't over tighten them. They will leak. If you are using a tapered fitting, the manufacturer will say no thread sealant, you can use it. Make sure not to get any on the tapered section. Whether you are using tape or pipe dope. This will cause it to not seal. Make sure the tapered section is not scratched badly or pitted. This will cause it to not seal. Since you have tightened and loosened so many times, check the threads, (if they are the right ones) to make sure they are not messed up. If you are using stainless fittings, and I don't think you are, they do take more pressur to seal as the metal is a lot harder than the brass and aluminum. I am sure everybody knows this already and I am not trying to question anybodiy's knowledge or ability, just trying to help. Installed a lot of high pressure hoses and had to fix other peoples installs, these are the common problems that accur. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Guys, I'm following all the right steps and I'm not trying to mix AN and NPT fittings. I'm using AN fittings on both ends, it just doesn't seal. It's not the hose to fitting side itself that leaks but the hose-end fitting to bulkhead fitting connection itself. I'm going to buy some of that permatex sealer and give that a try. Thanks for all the suggestions.

mann, I'm not using the usual pressure sender port for the oil supply on my set up, I'll post a picture of it later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.