MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
Are you having problems removing the pully or the pully bolt? Is the engine in the car?

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
It just slides onto the crank. I'm assuming you have the bolt out?

Over time, the crank and pulley kind of fuse together and then you have to use a 2 bolt puller to remove it. You can borrow these pullers from just about any major part store - they're only about $20, so I just bought one.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry jekylandhyde, i posted it in the off topic forum too.. it was deleted
the bolt is what im having trouble getting off, the motor is not in the car

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
Is the engine in the car? It's REALLY easy with the engine in the car. If the engine is out of the car, you have to find a way to keep the crank from turning while you loosen the bolt.

·
Registered
484 Posts
^ impact gun!!! i used a steering wheel puller to remove mine. thread into two holes in pulley and i used the impact gun for the rest as well takes about five minutes. other things i tried before the gun were useless and wasted an hour or two trying.

·
Registered
534 Posts
also, don't forget to remove the flywheel inspection cover and stick something in the teeth to keep the crank from turning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Some folks with out an impact gun have used the starter to get the bolt off. Put the wrench on the bolt, and turn it to hit the ground/floor when you start the motor.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
i had the engine on a stand, and i used a socketed belt attachment for my wrench on it to slip over the pulley.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I did mine with just a harmonic balancer puller from autozone and some good ole elbow grease. If it has been on for a while it will be harder and you will probably have to get a impact gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts