MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following Cutter's lead, I am offering $20 to whoever helps me out with these. I just got a 94T to gen3 swap done, and there a very few bugs left in it before it's perfect.

1. The ABS light is on. I believe this is due to my gen3 clip not having ABS, though my 94T ABS brakes are on my car.

2. My airbag light is on. I realize this has been covered in Pat's FAQ sections, but it didn't seem to work. The mechanic said he cut the wire specified and the airbag light went off when the car was off, but was back on when the car was turned on.

3. The biggy. If you do this one alone you'll get some $$$ even if you can't do the other two. My speedometer doesn't work. We've checked the speedo sensor that goes to the tranny, that's fine. All the wiring seems to be intact, so something must be wired wrong. Can someone PLEASE provide me with a gen3 and gen2 wiring diagram showing where the speedo wire is? If you could just tell me how to fix it, that'd be even better! My mechanic said that he could get it working with some wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
1. Check the BGB for troubleshooting that ABS system (it involves getting to the ABS brain behind the dash)

2. What do you want to happen? Get the airbag to work or to have the light turn off?

3. The speedo wire is the 3rd wire that comes out of the speed sensor (in the tranny). It should be purple from what I remember. That wire should be run into the ECU.

Here is a couple excel files for the ECU pinouts.
http://triadsmr2.info/MR2/ECUPinOuts.xls
http://triadsmr2.info/MR2/ECU_Wiring.xls

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help Triad. I would like the airbag light to turn off while still working. Is that possible? Also, thanks for the diagrams. Do you or anyone else have the larger wiring diagram showing which wire goes frmo ecu to speedo?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
My airbag light is off while still working (to my knowledge --> haven't gotten in a hard crash yet). As for the ecu to speedo: I don't have that because my car is still using a mechanical speedo.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think its in Pat's site
http://www.mr2oc.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=839790
Look it up, theres also pin outs for IE4 and BM1.

Index of /mr2modproject/gen3stuff/gen3wiringdiagrams

93NA USDM to 94 JDM gen3 3SGTE turbo

Problem:
1.Speedometer Gauge not working

FIX:
1.The electrical speed sensor attached at the transmission has three wires. Black-Yellow, Brown and Yellow-Red. The problem is that the Brown wire is not terminated to the gauge cluster. The brown wire from the electrical speed sensor is connected to pin 2 of plug IE4 3SGTE. While the speedometer gauge is connected to pin 3 of BM1 5SFE. Remove the brown wire (pin 2) from plug IE4 and connect it to the brown wire of BM1 (pin 3). Your speedometer should now work.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So, this swap you did, you had an uncut body harness with the gen3 engine? If so, I'd make sure he cut the correct green wire. The problem I had was when I stepped on the brakes, the airbag light would come on. Is that the same thing your car is doing? The plug the green wire goes to is in #3 here. It's very easy to get access to and check.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hey Pat,

I just did a gen 2 swap on my 91 NA, and my problem is the Air bag light is on all the time except when i hit my brakes it goes off, same fix? or something different?

Sorry for the thread jack

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pat, we just checked and he cut the correct wire. He says if he has wiring diagrams he can figure everything out. We got the ecu pinout of your site, but we need a pinout for the kickpanel if anyone has that. We tried to use the diagrams on your site Pat, but they're all in Japanese. He is trying to figure out which wire that plugs in the kickpanel is the speedo wire - could anyone lend a hand? Could it be a bad ecu?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts