MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i went to get some gaskets and got all but two...I really need the oil pan gasket but the dumb lady behind the counter (who had no idea what a 3sgte or mr2 was, yet alone anything about turbos....why do this ppl work in the parts department?) said that they dont have oil pan gaskets cause they use a silicone....but im seeing in gasket kit sets they have oil pan gaskets...anyone know the part # for the oil pan gasket?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I know that in the mk1 4ag and 4agze engines both use silicone to seal the oil pan. Take your oil pan off and see for yourself, if there is a gasket take it to the lady and show her. My guess is that it doesn't have a gasket, but I dont know much about the 3sgte...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, its a compound, but im seeing in these gasket kits a gasket for the oil pan....was hoping someone had the part # for THAT gasket.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
actually she was right. the oil pan is sealed with a sealant from Toyota. there is NO gasket :slap:

the only gasket you can get is an aftermarket one. its a cork type gasket made and i know fel pro makes it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Aftermarket sells gaskets for the oil pan.. There is a reason Toyota used Silicone. I used the gasket and had leakage issues, switched to a silicone and no issues since.

Dan

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
ramicio said:
i would just stick with the toyota FIPG that they use. they use it for a reason ;)
that is what you are supposed to use for the gasket, a friend of mine used a cork type gasket on his 3S and his began to loose compression because it wasnt sealing right....I now use it as well :)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
sw204me said:
(why do this ppl work in the parts department?)

Because more often than not, they DO know more than their customers about the parts they sell.

FIPG(Form In Place Gasket) is the proper way to seal the oil pan. Felpro makes a cork gasket. IIRC, it's listed under the 5sfe and not the 3sgte. If you have reason to frequently open your oil pan, you might want to pick up this gasket. Otherwise, use the FIPG. If you get the pan & block clean, FIPG seals better than any gasket.

-Brad

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Where's an Owned picture when you need one? Just so you know it's a pain in the ass to mess with those hundreds of oil pan screws.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts