MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any feedback regarding brake pads for '86 stock class. I just got stainless brake lines and caliper rebuild kits. Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looking at people's mod lists, I've seen lots of MetalMasters listed.
My ex and I had EBC Greens on her '99 Galant as daily driver pads. They were teh suxxor in the cold, but a good hard stop on the way to the front gate of the apartments was usually enough to get them warm enough to behave like stock brakes. Couple stoplights into the commute, and they were up to full stopping capacity. I would *imagine* they're available.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My friend with an '88 MR2SC switched from generic replacement pads to Axxis Ultimates in the front and Carbotech Panthers in the rear. He wanted more bias toward the rear, because the front wheels locked up really early even on race tires. He says that braking is greatly improved since the switch.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I used Portfield R4S pads on another car once and I was really impressed with them - so that's what I'm putting on my '86 for this season.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of shifting the bias to the rear for I tend to drive in to corners a little hot and load the front. Anymore opinions out there?

·
Registered
595 Posts
My concern would be that the two pad types would not behave consistently in varying conditions. I'd actually be most concerned about this causing problems on the street.

It's just me, but I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree, mixing a low-temp street pad with a high-temp track pad would be a bad idea. However, the Axxis Ultimate and the Carbotech Bobcat are both street pads, designed to work well without having to heat them up. The combination was suggested to him by Carbotech.

The car is a daily driver for my friend, and his positive reaction is based on how they work on the street. I don't think he's actually autocrossed the car since he got them more than a year ago...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts