MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently had my car aligned and now the center part of my rear left tire is almost gone and I just replaced both rears a month ago and drove them about 3k miles and about a week ago I had the rear lower ball joints replaced and they didnt re align it because they said that changing the ball joints doesnt affect the alignment. Well I was looking at my car from the rear and the wheels looked like their turned in I think its called toe? well here are my alignment specs I was wondering if they look alright

Front: Left
Actual***Before*** Specified Range
-0.8 *** -0.8 **** -1.8 ** -0.3 *** Camber
3.4 **** 3.4 ***** 3.1 *** 4.6 *** Caster
0.08 *** 0.13 *** 0.00 *** 0.10 *** Toe
14.6 *** 14.6 *** 13.1 *** 14.6 *** SAI

Front: Right
Actual *** Before
-1.0 *** -1.0 Camber
4.1 *** 4.1 Caster
0.05 *** 0.18 Toe
14.7 **** 14.6 SAI

Front
Actual ** Before ** Specified Range
0.2 ***** 0.1 **** -0.5 *** 0.5 Cross Camber
-0.7 *** -0.7 **** -0.5 *** 0.5 Cross Caster
-0.1 **** 0.0 **** ---- *** ---- Cross SAI
0.13 *** 0.31 **** 0.00 *** 0.20 Total Toe

Rear: Left
-1.9 *** -1.9 **** -2.3 *** -0.8 Camber
0.30 *** 1.03 **** 0.25 *** 0.35 Toe

Rear: Right
-1.3 *** -1.3 **** -2.3 *** -0.8 Camber
0.30 *** 1.03 **** 0.25 *** 0.35 Toe

Rear
Actual ** Before **Specified Range
-0.5 *** -0.5 *** -0.5 **** 0.5 Cross Camber
0.62 **** 1.38 *** 0.50 ** 0.70 Total Toe
-0.01 *** 0.34 *** ---- *** ---- Thrust Angle

Thanks for looking and if they don't look alright what specs should I get my car aligned to.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
everythign looks arrgiiht...except maybe ur caster, one side looks a bit higher...

3.4 and 4.1 is a prety big diff. it mayyy cause a pull...may even not...
caster on the Mr2's is adjustable i believe...it is on mine.

as long as ur car is driving fairly straight, ur readings look ok.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
is any of the outside tred cupping at all? if not you may have had an over inflated tire, sad to say most ppl get over or under inflated tires when they have them put on

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no its just the center part of the rear left tire thats almost gone the tire is a sumitomo HTR if that makes any difference

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
How long did you drive on these tires before having it aligned? It apear the toe was way out of spec on the left rear before it was aligned. The rear tires on these car wear very quickly so any misalignment, or inflation problems will quickly wear out the tires.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the car aligned the next day and yesterday I took the car back so they could check it out and they told me that I was driving aggressively and thats the reason why the tires wore fast which is bs and basically told me that I'm _____ed. They also said that on these cars the rear tires wear real fast which I dont know about that cuz that would mean that I have to buy new tires every 3k miles

·
Registered
178 Posts
Overinflation can cause very rapid tire wear. One way to prevent it is by buying and using a tire inflation gauge.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
depending on your driving that may be true but they normaly last longer than that

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I had that exact problem. new tire 3000 miles and no center tread on the right rear (passenger side).

but my car drug that wheel around the corner when turning lefts so I assumed it was a differential problem. I have tranny on the bench now about to be opened up to see whats wrong.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
bmicke1 said:
I had that exact problem. new tire 3000 miles and no center tread on the right rear (passenger side).

but my car drug that wheel around the corner when turning lefts so I assumed it was a differential problem. I have tranny on the bench now about to be opened up to see whats wrong.
.... check your caliper it might be freezing up if its "dragging" a wheel while unloaded

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
monopolizedinc said:
.... check your caliper it might be freezing up if its "dragging" a wheel while unloaded
passenger side wheel while turning left. that would be the loaded wheel, not the unloaded.
it did do it while turning right but not nearly to the extent of the other direction. I swapped CV joints from left to right to make sure that wasnt the problem and the problem didn't move.

I also don't think it is the stock LSD because:

there are no bars in the axle ports that indicate the stock LSD.

it always locked up both wheels while doing burnouts, leaving a nice double black line. never seen an open diff. do that.

it is a 91/92 JDM transmission.

the clip also had TRD motor mounts and a three puck clutch of somekind. and a toms air filter thing. so i know the tranny has been at least removed before.

I 'll find out tonight or tommorrow whats in there, I have it on my bench ready to be dismantled

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
oh and it only did it while under light throttle. drift through a corner with out touching the gas and it would be fine. if you pegged the throttle and forced the lSD to work, it would be fine. It did eat a couple plastic speedo gears, maybe the platsic bits a wedged somewhere where they are causing problems.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
i just reread your post and i did not put 2 and 2 together when reading it the first time
so good luck

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
bmicke1....
i stand that your tire was more than likely over inflated as stated in post three

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
lou-E-lou, did you ever find an answer to your problem?

i looked at the back of another mr2 today and the wheels looked turned in. i think its just the persepective.

i doubt the lowering is the problem, because hundreds of people have lowered their Mr2 and they aren't getting just 3000 mi out of one rear wheel. plus my car is lowered on coilovers and i got 10-12k out of the the last three sets of rear yokahamas. the fronts do better, I only have to replace them every other time.

what year is your car, does it have LSD or an open diff? because I really thing my problem is the diff.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
monopolizedinc said:
bmicke1....
i stand that your tire was more than likely over inflated as stated in post three
over inflated or not, I still need to find out why the wheel trys to lock up while turning left.

besides i know for a fact that all 4 tires were at 41psi because thats where they ended up at the end of the last autoX.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts