MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gen II 3SGTE. Im looking to add more power later on when I get the $$ so outside of the exhaust purchase in a month or so, its stock.

Any sugestions on a good clutch to replace my worn one w/? ACT/ SPEC stage II what do you have/like thats provides good daily drivability wears well and is ready for a bit more torque should I add it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I loved my Exedy full face w/ 12lb ACT "street lite" flywheel. Almost stock feel (a bit stiffer and a bit more bite) but it held 220WHP/180ft lbs pon my old Honda (repeated track use w/ slicks, + auto-x and HARD daily driving.) I had the thing in there for almost 2 years without a hint of fade before the bastards stolded my car and chopped it all to hell and back.

But at least now I have an MR2T :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MisterMister said:
I loved my Exedy full face w/ 12lb ACT "street lite" flywheel. Almost stock feel

But at least now I have an MR2T :)
Full race clutch w/ a stock feel? WOW! I like the stock clutch but would like to step up a bit. Ill price the Exedy now.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hows the feel of the puck style? Jerky and rough I assume

And should I get a new fly wheel while Im at it?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i HATED my 6 puck sprung hub clutch (the "least" harsh of all the puck style clutches). I HATED IT. I had to slip the clutch from a stop EVERY TIME to avoid either doing a burnout (which also almost shook the dash off), or stalling out. AND when I DID slip it it DESTROYED the flywheel, on top of which it made the worst metal on metal screeching noise evAr!

I will never buy a puck style clutch for a daily driver again. For a race/strip car, sure, but if you sit in traffic for more then 10 minutes you will learn to hate it real quick.

As for the flywheel, it can only help. A lighter flywheel will help rev-matching, reduce transmission load (e.g. wear) and will allow the engine to rev faster and thus the turbo to spool faster. I just had my brother get an exedy full FACE organic clutch and exedy light weight flywheel for his WRX. He LOVES it. The turbo spools faster and he can really feel the difference in power application. he said that his car starts building power earlier and each shift coms much quicker then before.

BTW he has an EBC, intake, DP/UP and turbo-back.

If you plan to rae a lot or do a lot of drag runs (especially with slicks) you might want to upgrade to a full face clutch with a stronger pressure plate. This will increase the clutches holding power while allowing it to remain streetable.

Honestly though, the exedy full face is good for 250+WHP w/o any problems all by it self, even under race conditions.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Spec Stage 3 (6 puck), i love this thing. Great price and great clutch. I also really liked the clutchmaster stage 2 i had in my old car but it was a bit pricy...

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have a honda with a SPEC stage 3 clutch and that's the one going in my MR2 this summer when i'm going to replace my clutch along with a lightweight flywheel. Needs some getting used to, but the honda is used as a daily driver.

·
Registered
201 Posts
<--- exedy stage 1 loving it bit stiffer than stock on pedal feel an grabs really well but yet doesnt engage very harsh either

·
Registered
676 Posts
Soon to be Spec Stage3+ when I send the $$$ off to mister3.

Should be good for a skid or two, maybe some nitrous assisted drag racing as well :thumbup

·
Registered
565 Posts
i use a spec 3
its very grabby and dosnt like being slipped at all. but once you get used to it, its not too bad i guess.

it chirps my tyres even on a 1500 rpm dump :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seanix said:
i use a spec 3
its very grabby and dosnt like being slipped at all. it chirps my tyres even on a 1500 rpm dump :)
If I go spec II, will I still have that issue or is that also do to your engine mods?

MisterMister said:
i HATED my 6 puck sprung hub clutch (the "least" harsh of all the puck style clutches). I HATED IT. I had to slip the clutch from a stop EVERY TIME to avoid either doing a burnout (which also almost shook the dash off), or stalling out. AND when I DID slip it it DESTROYED the flywheel, on top of which it made the worst metal on metal screeching noise evAr!
Who installed your clutch, by what Im reading from other owners its not that bad.

Oh and whats "slipping the clutch"?

·
Registered
126 Posts
MisterMister said:
I just had my brother get an exedy full FACE organic clutch and exedy light weight flywheel for his WRX. He LOVES it. The turbo spools faster and he can really feel the difference in power application. he said that his car starts building power earlier and each shift coms much quicker then before.
Sorry for the OT...

Exedy makes the stock clutch for the WRX. All the differences felt by your brother are due to the new flywheel (and possibly upgraded pressure plate).

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
93deuce said:
Mister Mister was the question to me?

yes, it was.

rhudeboye, this was in my Honda, not the MR2. Also I suppose it has to do with the make and pressure plate.

Phatty: the Exedy clutch he got is stiffer then stock, and holts roughly 15-20% more power. Just because a company makes one thing doesnt meamn its all the same, you know? And its true that most of the things I described was due to the flywheel, but thats why I mentioned it. he was asking if the flywheel made a difference. The clutch it self was to replace a failing stocker and to hold a bit more power while remaining an ALMOST stock feel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts