MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that NASA and SCCA are racing organizations that are responsible for organizing racing events through out California and rest of the country.

Anybody knows which organization is better to be affiliated with?

·
Registered
351 Posts
toymr1 said:
I just found out that NASA and SCCA are racing organizations that are responsible for organizing racing events through out California and rest of the country.

Anybody knows which organization is better to be affiliated with?
i run in both..its all about the fun :thumbup

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Actually, you can be affiliated with both since they don't require a membership to join their activities (typically cost $5-$10 more for non-member) ... EXCEPT for SFR AutoX - which requires SCCA membership to reduce the entries #.

Su

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just called NASA. They required a membership fee of $40.

But they only charged for $149 for HPDE event @ Infineon and Thundhill this coming months

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've ran for both... SCCA one season and NASA for a little over 3 years... got kinda irritated with spending a day at an autox and only actually running for ~3 min, where a track day you get approx. 2 hours or so of track time. Yeah, you do put more wear on the car and you have to drop more money all at once, but time on track - cost ratio is more efficient. 3-5 min autox(3 runs, 1-2 fun run) is about $30 bucks or so, last time I checked, so say about $6 a minute, where 90 min track for $150 is <$2 a minute. Positives and negatives about both, just depends on what you want to do. Hope that helps. Come out to Infineon in Feb if you want. Bunch of buddies are going to be there and we're all running in different classes (hpde/hc1/hc4/etc). Non-mr2s though... =T

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I plan on running (hopefully) all of the SFR autocrosses with SCCA and as many NASA days as I can afford.

JCrew7i2 said:
Come out to Infineon in Feb if you want. Bunch of buddies are going to be there and we're all running in different classes (hpde/hc1/hc4/etc). Non-mr2s though... =T
I may be there. I'm torn between Infineon, autocrossing (season opener), or both...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Are you interested in actual wheel-to-wheel racing, or just looking for open-track events? If your looking for track events, consider some of the smaller car club events too. The Shelby Owners Club puts on track events - I have been to one of their events last fall and will probably attend one or two this year. If you are a beginner, I don't know if this group will provide instruction; they may if you request an instructor. They did allow me to instruct a friends' girlfriend at the Fall event (It was her first time on track). There are a lot of V8's in this group. It was a great place to take my friends' new mid-engine Ford GT though! (And no, I didn't get to drive it.)

The Lotus Club also does track events. They only have intermediate and advanced groups though, and don't offer instruction.

And I have to put in a plug for www.Team-Racing.org, honestly my favorite club to drive with. You get a lot of track time (up to 3 hours!), a relaxed atmosphere with courteous drivers, and a good safety record.

Have fun with whatever club you participate with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts