MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mis-understood it. It is a good idea for either You, or a qualified mechanic to go through this inspection before leaving the event. That way you can get stuff fixed before you get to the track.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm still a little confused.....My father and I do all the work on our cars so we dont really have a mechanic for anything other than inspections and alignments. So who do I have sign off on the car?

·
Charter Member - Group W
2,028 Posts
Don't worry about it. It says "no unusual oil leaks". For a Mark 1 it is perfectly normal to have the engine compartment look like the back of a tar truck.

Just kidding, BTW.

Do you get Bill's point? Just make sure all the checkpoints on the form are 100% before you leave home so you don't drive 1800 miles to Topeka and be told you can't play. Common sense really.

·
Charter Member - Group W
2,028 Posts
Oops. I just re-read the form.

Bill, the top part implies that the form is to be filled out by a qualified inspector prior to the event. Maybe you should photochop that line for clarity.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
They firm on the DOT4 or better less than 2 months old? My MR2 is currently filled with DOT3 that's about 9 months old so if I plan on running on the track, should I add brake fluid to my list of things to do this winter?

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
You don't want to be out on the track with old low temp brake fluid. You can't go fast if you can't slow down for the corners and road courses really stress brake fluid.

Not being able to stop isn't worth the little time and money it takes to put in fresh high temp fluid.

·
Charter Member - Group W
2,028 Posts
The issue it heat. Brake fluid has a chemical affinity for water. When your fluid gets over the boiling point of water, steam forms and you can get anything from self applying brakes to pedal on the floor no-stoppie brakes. Both are entertaining for spectators but not conducive to driving home sans flatbed trailer.

One year old fluid may be fine for normal use but could quite likely be too moisture ladden for track use.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure I'll have the 4AGTE ready for the 1500 mile trip, but if I do I'll make sure I flush out my brake system and refill with some DOT4 before I hit the road.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we stole that form from the Ferrari guys. been using it for a few years. It is just the form we use to inspect the cars at the track. It is good to know what we are going to look at before we get there.

I wanted to use the new form :) but David said no. The new forms require you not to have any anti-freeze in the car... just water and water-wetter. And they even require lights taped :)
But I was told no.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Bill Strong said:
You mis-understood it. It is a good idea for either You, or a qualified mechanic to go through this inspection before leaving the event. That way you can get stuff fixed before you get to the track.
Yes I did (misunderstand). I thought we needed a "certified inspection" from looking at the form. I'll probably get mine done before arriving at the track rather than before I leave the event :D (smart-assdom, some people are just born that way).
Mack
I would still like to see a Club Inspection prior to the event? (.02)

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Having done a Ferrari of Washington/Ferrari Cub track day, I can tell you they do require an independent mechanic to fill out their form.

NA2005 is only using the Ferrari Club checklist as a guideline, not their process.

·
Registered
382 Posts
is about two drips of oil per night considered "out of the ordinary"?

OT: my car drips about 2 drips a night of oil from the right side of the engine. is this more likely to be a bad oil pan gasket or a bad engine seal? i know its not the valve cover gasket because i replaced that.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
More likely? A cam seal - but that's just "most likely". Of course, if you didn't put sealer in the corners of the cam towers when you replaced the valve cover gasket - that takes over as "most likely".

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
It's great to see everyone checking the rules - but don't let them scare you. As has been noted, the intent is to have a comprehensive checklist for you OR your mechanic to use when going over your car prior to the event. We will do a basic tech at the event to ensure that safety items are in place, and I think I remember reading where HPT requires lights to be taped, so that will be a requirement as well (this is no huge deal - just put an X of electrical tape over your fog lamps or a couple stripes across the front signal lamps).

Oil and coolant leaks - none is best. If you get one or two drips overnight, don't get spun up about it. We're looking for the cars that are going to litter the track with the stuff and make the day a lot less fun for the people behind them. Cars that don't leak tend to have bigger issues that are best tended to before you subject them to track time. My Spyder has a bad oil leak from the TEC3 cam position sensor...if I want to run the track, I'm going to have to replace the valve cover - but I know that it's better for the car in the long run if I get rid of that leak anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts