MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So even if i buy used e153 axles an get turbo hubs I can still use N/A brakes in the rear? Sorry this is a bit confusing cuz I'm 14. Also IF I do swap out the fronts would I need turbo hubs? Im jut looking to get the 91-92 because of the very minor parts to get it working.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ive also found that getting upgraded pads and rotors can outperform 93+ on the street all day long.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
So even if i buy used e153 axles an get turbo hubs I can still use N/A brakes in the rear? Sorry this is a bit confusing cuz I'm 14. Also IF I do swap out the fronts would I need turbo hubs? Im jut looking to get the 91-92 because of the very minor parts to get it working.
Put it this way. On a 91/92 there is no such thing as turbo rear brakes or NA rear brakes. They are 100% identical. So yes, you can use the brakes that came on your NA car with turbo hubs, because they are exactly the same as the rear brakes that came on a turbo car.

There is no such thing as "turbo" front hubs. All front hubs are the same (other than them getting stronger in later years). The front knuckles vary depending on if you have power steering or not, or ABS or not, but there is no turbo vs NA difference.

Ive also found that getting upgraded pads and rotors can outperform 93+ on the street all day long.
Don't believe everything you read;) A lot of people like to downplay brake upgrades. The 91 brakes are adequate for basic street use, but they aren't going to outperform anything unless you seriously stack the deck in their favor by running them with a high performance pad and running the 93+ brakes with junk from the parts store. But that's not exactly fair.

Reactions: J.harris

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got a couple more questions because you seem like the guy to ask. Is it even worth upgrading the fronts then as they are 2 piston? If not what can I do to help the n/a brakes preform better besides rotors and pads?

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
I got a couple more questions because you seem like the guy to ask. Is it even worth upgrading the fronts then as they are 2 piston? If not what can I do to help the n/a brakes preform better besides rotors and pads?
If you can get a really good deal on them, maybe. But it's a pretty minor difference. Basically what the extra piston gives you is more even pressure across the surface of the pad, so the brake pad is used a little bit more efficiently. I believe the pads are also a little bigger, but not a whole lot. The total piston area is similar, as the NA single piston is much larger than the two pistons in the turbo calipers, so the brake bias and pedal effort are similar as well.

Overall, yeah it's better. But not in a life changing sort of way. If you can get a pair of front calipers in good condition for 50 bucks or less, maybe worth it. But don't spend a bunch of money on that upgrade.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry I'm asking all these questions but besides the pads and rotor upgrade what other upgrades are there. ive heard people get steel braided lines and bigger master cylinder. What do those two things benefit.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
A larger master cylinder changes the pedal feel. The bigger the master cylinder the more pedal pressure is required, but the less the pedal will move. Also a lot of the time it's paired with a big brake upgrade that might include larger than stock pistons, so the master cylinder needs to get larger to match. If you just increase the piston size without increasing the master cylinder size, you get the opposite effect (softer pedal that moves more but requires less effort). Most people tend to prefer the firmer pedal feel, but it's very much a personal preference.

Steel braided lines expand less under pressure than the stock lines, so they cause the pressure generated by the master cylinder to be more effectively transferred to the calipers. Again resulting in a firmer pedal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So it sounds like the pads and rotor upgrade are really the inly upgrades to get better stopping power?

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
Braided lines are worth while as well, as they improve the transfer efficiency from the pedal to the calipers. But at the end of the day you are right, they may not actually give you more stopping power, but they will make the brakes feel better. Pads are the big one. Rotors just need to be in good shape, no need to go slotted or drilled or any of that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Alex, You were a big help today. Sounds like I can keep N/A brakes. Do you recommend a good pad for street use and very light track use? Just need something that can handle a 300hp 2gr. I wont be using your exhaust and marks tune so it will only be max 300.

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
101 Posts
Alex, You were a big help today. Sounds like I can keep N/A brakes. Do you recommend a good pad for street use and very light track use? Just need something that can handle a 300hp 2gr. I wont be using your exhaust and marks tune so it will only be max 300.
EBC Brakes has a great Pad Selector page that will help you find the brakes that are right for you. I went with the Red Stuff pads and their USR Slotted Rotors and I am very happy with my purchase two years on. The slotted option really isn't necessary but I do to tend to get on my brakes harder than most drivers on the street do.

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
101 Posts
Also rear brakes on a 91/92 (US market) are the same between turbo and na. Only the front calipers are different.
Does this mean that the two piston 90-91 "turbo" calipers and pads will bolt up to an N/A car or will you need to change other parts? I know the benefit isn't much but I'd like to do it anyway and since I can't seem to find 93+ brackets, this may be the next best thing for my car. A true big brake kit is not in my future for this street car.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
Does this mean that the two piston 90-91 "turbo" calipers and pads will bolt up to an N/A car or will you need to change other parts? I know the benefit isn't much but I'd like to do it anyway and since I can't seem to find 93+ brackets, this may be the next best thing for my car. A true big brake kit is not in my future for this street car.
Correct. You need the turbo caliper "bracket" just like you do for the 93+ calipers, but with a sliding caliper most would look at the bracket as part of the caliper.

Reactions: Negative

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been using the Stoptech Sport pads with NA brakes for three years now and they have held up great for daily driving and for autocross use. They have survived two seasons of autocross with the 5SFE and one season with the 2GR and they still have some life left. They have good bite, not too much dust, they are quite, and I have never gotten them to fade. In my opinion they are the perfect street/light track pad.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks! I've heard of them, but never heard if they were good. Are they cheaper than ebc?

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
Also very impressed with the Stoptech Sport pads. I run them on my big brake kit and so far they are my favorite all around pad. Only complaint is they squeal a little at low speed (but not nearly as bad as some pads).

Reactions: SW20_Nate

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 92 turbo with 14" steelies for winter tires. Tried to use them on my 93 turbo and they wouldn't fit over the rotors. Not sure about the stock wheels, I never had them, have 17s for summer.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts