MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got myself a donor car yesterday for a 2GR swap. I'm gonna be using an e153 i bought so I gotta get turbo brakes at least in the rear. Will the standard 14" 1991 na rims fit with turbo brakes. Please specify if its 91-92 or 93-99....

Thanks!

·
2,434 Posts
Hey guys, I got myself a donor car yesterday for a 2GR swap. I'm gonna be using an e153 i bought so I gotta get turbo brakes at least in the rear. Will the standard 14" 1991 na rims fit with turbo brakes. Please specify if its 91-92 or 93-99....

Thanks!
Have a read of this.
But if you are still running 14" wheels you better be running semi slicks with the 2GR as you can't get any safe performance tyres in 14s anymore.

But to directly answer your question. If you get 91 Turbo brakes on the front, they will fit under 14" wheels as the 14" wheels were standard on the USDM Turbo as were they on the JDM GT. The rear brakes are the same for 91 NA as the 91 Turbo.

·
6,334 Posts
NA and turbo cars used the same wheels 14" from 91 to 92 and 15" from 93 to 95. At some point later the mr2 got a different 15" wheel but we never got it in the states.

·
2,434 Posts
NA and turbo cars used the same wheels 14" from 91 to 92 and 15" from 93 to 95. At some point later the mr2 got a different 15" wheel but we never got it in the states.
Speaking for the rest of the world.
89-91 14"
92-96 15"
96-97 15" with diamond cut faces
89-99 15" thin spokes.
The UK 10th anniversary and the JDM Bilstien Edition also got dark grey 15s and these were 94-96.

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Also nothing about the E153 requires you to use turbo brakes.

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Also rear brakes on a 91/92 (US market) are the same between turbo and na. Only the front calipers are different.

·
2,434 Posts
Also rear brakes on a 91/92 (US market) are the same between turbo and na. Only the front calipers are different.
Thanks for confirming. I know my post is rather long to read but it has a lot of the information in there that I hope is correct. At least I believe it is based on the research of the parts catalog part numbers and other information from people all over the world who helped me with it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the response. I'm on a budget so I really didn't want to go spend another 2k on wheels and tires.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the 91-92 calipers front calipers different as in they don't fit in a 14" wheel or they just a different piston amount?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also you if you have a NA car and you are on a budget you don’t have to use the E153 and you definitely don’t have to use turbo brakes.
The S54 can handle the power of the 2GR fine(especially if you are running stock size tires), just don’t launch it. And unless you are going to be tracking your car hard, the NA brakes will be fine with decent pads.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also which has more stopping power for a turbo, rear ot front. I'm guessing front because it has two pistons.

·
6,334 Posts
The brakes have nothing to do with the transmission, use whatever you want. Every car has a front bias, front brakes on every car will do more of the stopping than rear no matter how many pistons.

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
There is very little functional difference between 91NA and 91Turbo brakes. Yes the front calipers have an extra piston on the turbo, but the rotors are the same and the pad size is pretty similar. It's a very minor upgrade to go from NA brakes to turbo brakes. As mentioned previously there is ZERO difference in the rear brakes between a 91NA and a 91Turbo. Same calipers, same rotors. The transmission is irrelevant.

Normally the turbo / e153 would have turbo hubs (hubs = part that spins, not the entire bearing carrier, aka the knuckle, aka the upright). The knuckle is the same turbo or NA. The hub is different in that it takes a larger axle spline on the turbo, but otherwise is the same. Still a 5-lug. You can buy axles that fit the E153 that also fit the NA hubs so that you don't have to change hubs. Usually sold as "swap axles".

1 - 20 of 57 Posts