MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Ive run this through Search a few different ways and I just get swamped with random threads, so im sorry if this has been asked 100 times before.

I have heard it mentioned that the 3sge cams are a bit more agressive than 3sgte cams. Does anyone have any idea how much? dyno plots/ has anyone in the forums tried?

I like the idea of using stock ( cheap :thumbup ) parts to gain a little extra eg, 3sge manifold, supra ct26 turbo, celica w2a ic... etc etc etc

Thanks all.
-Nathan

·
Registered
171 Posts
These are the stock cam durations and lifts I can find for 3S-GTE & 3S-GE. Cant find the details at the moment for the Rev2 3S-GE.It certainly looks like the 3S-GE is more agressive.

3S-GTE
Rev 2
In: 236deg, 8.2mm lift
Ex: 236deg, 8.2mm lift

Rev3
In: 240deg, 8.7mm lift
Ex: 236deg, 8.2mm lift

3S-GE
Rev3
In: 252deg, 9.8mm lift
Ex: 240deg, 8.2mm lift

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Brock said:
If I remember correctly, no. On one engine both cams are driven by the timing belt. On the other, one cam is driven by the timing belt and there's a gear on the cams to drive the second cam. Refer to the BGB.
I think you're confusing the 3sge with the 5sfe. 5sfe has scissors cams whereas the 3sge is basically a 3sgte without the turbo.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
i'm not sure how much lift you can go to on the 2nd gen gte. At some point you'll start popping shims and I believe the head needs to be clearanced in a few spots. I'm not sure if 9.8mm is enough to warrant that, but it's probably not too far off.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about the entire gen 3 head? I dont have one and for the price they (probably) go for, i wont be getting one, but how close are they to 3sgte spec bar the cams?

-nathan

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
flyinbrick said:
what about the entire gen 3 head? I dont have one and for the price they (probably) go for, i wont be getting one, but how close are they to 3sgte spec bar the cams?

-nathan
Gen 3 turbo or N/A?

I've heard (don't know if it was accurate) that the turbo head has extra cooling passages around the exhaust ports. Also, you'd need the matching manifold since the 2nd gen T-Vis mani has huge ports vs the 3rd gen heads. Other than that they should be about the same.

·
Registered
362 Posts
3SGE cams have slightly more duration and lift, and bolt right in.

A gen 3 NA head is virtually identical to a gen 3 3sgte head, however IIRC the injector bosses are smaller.

(I dont know what injector 'bosses' are, but I would assume that they are the circular recesses in the head, that the injectors 'plug' into?)

A guy I know made 450hp with a gen 2 block with modified oil galleries, a ported gen 3 NA head, and some nasty big turbo. :D
And a few other bits of course, but you get the idea... it's doable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts