MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
1991 Tubo moter in a 1991 Na

I've got a 1991 Turbo the frame is shot. Would it be easier to swap over the Turbo wireing harness or to buy one. Im hoping I can do this for less then 2000 and I hate how much wiring harness cost.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
wow no one has much help but dumb comments.

someone post up. all the wiring you need for swaps

91 n.a to 91 turbo. what harnesses are easiest?

91 n.a to 93 turbo. what harnesses are easiest?

if i have a 91 n.a car doing a 93 turbo swap. do i use the 93 turbo body harness or the 91 turbo body harness? and will it be plug and play?

·
Garage heated by 3SGTE
1,855 Posts
When I finish my Mk1.5, then I will set aside a couple of hours and do this if someone hasn't already done it.

It's not hard...just spend two hours studying the wiring diagrams and make a spreadsheet.

I already did this once to adapt a 97Gen3 engine to a 93NA body harness.

Swapping a body harness is a foolish and intrusive way to get around two hours of studying.

If everything north of the engine bay is working before the swap, why mess with it?

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
ok can someone show me how to do a 91n.a body harbess into a 93 turbo harness..

i suck with electrical. so anything will help!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Tyler H said:
When I finish my Mk1.5, then I will set aside a couple of hours and do this if someone hasn't already done it.

It's not hard...just spend two hours studying the wiring diagrams and make a spreadsheet.

I already did this once to adapt a 97Gen3 engine to a 93NA body harness.

Swapping a body harness is a foolish and intrusive way to get around two hours of studying.

If everything north of the engine bay is working before the swap, why mess with it?
excellent point. which i why i'd opt to go this route instead. i don't mind the n/a tach. it's fine and works like any other tach. you just don't get the fancy 7000rpm redline and the 160mph speedo readout. and who cares about the stock turbo boost gauge. it's worthless. the na tach is fine.

however, i'd still like to get a good DIY writeup on how to adapt a 91na body harness to a jdm gen2 engine harness.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
actually you can swap the cluster in plug and play then take the boost gauge out and put the volt meter in its place from the na cluster and voila

jdm cluster doesnt count that is more complicated the wiring is all backwards trust me i have the trd cluster geezzz that took some time

·
Registered
539 Posts
redsled said:
actually you can swap the cluster in plug and play then take the boost gauge out and put the volt meter in its place from the na cluster and voila

jdm cluster doesnt count that is more complicated the wiring is all backwards trust me i have the trd cluster geezzz that took some time
so you're saying i can run a turbo cluster on my na right now?

...still looking for how to splice the n/a body harness in the engine compartment for a jdm gen2.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you are using a 91 TURBO body harness and a 93 jdm TURBO engine harness and TURBO ECU, all you gotta do is re arrange the clip that connects the body harness to the ECU, open the ECU and inside will tell you what wire does what, get a 91 ecu diagram and them match the 91 body pin to the 93 ECU, there is only couple of wires to repin, NOW from the EA1 body harness grab the green/red wire and connect it to the FC pin in the ECU, the EA1 all you gotta do is match all BLUE wires together, use a voltimeter to check the voltage of each wire, and tape everything else off, there are many wires that will not be use at the end, then you have to power the fuel something, that i dont know how to do, since i rewire the USDM fuse box to match the JDM one, doing all these and you'll be set, my car started no problems every time, i wrote a threat asking a question about it, and then wrote the answer once i figure out, is been a while and i wrote off the top of my head, but it sumarizes everything that i did...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
ime swappin manual turbo into my automatic na. can i still use the same body harness and just rewire it or will i need a body harness due to it being automatic, i dont care about the stock boost gauge, i already have a manual one.

·
Registered
760 Posts
search or ask Dr. Tweak, and this thread is definetly not up to sticky standards for a complete swap and although it has turned into a discusion on wiring which is i think where people go wrong and most need help, it is not what the title of the thread is...what about part numbers for the transmission bolts, how to wire and where to get 22-pin connectors, minor freshening up, speed sensor issues, changing a fuel pump, clutch, shift cable, hubs, pics or even good links to write-ups on this site that really help out. these are all things that im' researching as im' now doing my swap, while taking pics and documenting it...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
anyways. if anybody knws about the auto na to manual swap please post. by the way dont give me that search crap, obviously i already tried a search or i wouldnt have posted here.
Once all the bugs are worked out and the questions answered (wiring) this can be a good sticky.

·
Registered
852 Posts
ghostrida3 said:
anyways. if anybody knws about the auto na to manual swap please post. by the way dont give me that search crap, obviously i already tried a search or i wouldnt have posted here.
Once all the bugs are worked out and the questions answered (wiring) this can be a good sticky.
Search.
And i say that becuase your being a dick about it :smile:

41 - 60 of 76 Posts