MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
im about to do my swap and im trying to get all the info here. if i use the turbo harness instead of the na thats already there then what exactly wont work when im done? cause i thought it would be easier to use the turbo harness but not necessarily if not everything works. and please correct me if i read something wrong.

edit: it looks like ill most likely getting a gen 2 3sgte not a gen 3, does that make a huge difference in what youre talking about or is it just the change from na to turbo? sorry if i sound dumb

·
Registered
50 Posts
So the more I read about the n/a to 2nd gen swap the more terrified i get. So I have pulled the new wiring harness from the tail lights through to the kick panel. But what is killing me is the speaker plugs dont match up, the door sensor plug doesn't match up and there is no defrost plug like there was on the old n/a engine harness. Also the new plugs going to the kick panel dont look like they match up. I'm Going Nutty trying to figure this out. And one more thing. Will the n/a fuel pump work with the turbo fuel pump? Your help would be a godsend.
Kris

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
i used the n/a cabin harness/ na tranny/ na shift cables and ran 91 octane dynoed a safe 235whp and 260 wtq no probs but now i am currently doing a gen3 swap in my car
oh you have to drop the motor from the bottom doesnt go up thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just swapped a gen ii 3sgte jdm into my 93n/a . do you know where i could find a good diagram for the jdm ecu to wire in the n/a body harness to the turbo harness

·
Registered
382 Posts
for a gen3 turbo swap, i used a 1996 3sge gearbox with n/a hubs and axels.
just needed a custom clutch. as the 3sge is smaller in diameter.
I also used the 3sge body harness with the 3sgte engine harness.

Everything works, cruise etc... Good diagrams are the key.
box is running great, i just stay out of 1st gear as i think 15+psi is way to mush for it..

·
Registered
327 Posts
OK, here's one for you swap gods;
I have a 91 NA swapped to a 93 JDM GEN2. Is there a wire that goes through the NA body harness to the gauge cluster to run the boost gauge?
Should I be able to hook up the turbo cluster and have everything work?? I believe there is a wire coming off the ecu that goes to the cluster that has to complete a circuit, if not it will throw a code. Correct??

·
Registered
382 Posts
if u are using the n/a body harness then there is no turboBoost wire that connects to the cluster.
if u are running a turbo cluster u need can source the turbo pressure from the PIM wire at ecu.
i save the hassle as the cluster gauge is not reliable, and get a manual boost gauge instead

·
Registered
327 Posts
I do have a manual boost gauge, but the wire from the ECU needs to complete it's circuit correct? My mechanic seems to think that it will throw a code if the circuit isn't completed. I will let them know to run a wire from the PIM (if they havent already)
Thanks for the info.

U

·
0 Posts
CoastGuard said:
So the more I read about the n/a to 2nd gen swap the more terrified i get. So I have pulled the new wiring harness from the tail lights through to the kick panel. But what is killing me is the speaker plugs dont match up, the door sensor plug doesn't match up and there is no defrost plug like there was on the old n/a engine harness. Also the new plugs going to the kick panel dont look like they match up. I'm Going Nutty trying to figure this out. And one more thing. Will the n/a fuel pump work with the turbo fuel pump? Your help would be a godsend.
Kris

old ass thread but I'm having the same issue. how did you solve this?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ok, so who thinks that this thread should be a sticky? This thread could definitely use some clear diagrams on:
-Splicing the NA body harness--> Gen2 3SGTE turbo engine harness.
-Common problems and solutions during the swap with PICS.

·
Registered
237 Posts
^^ that is what this thread needs, i think most of the people, including myself get stuck in the na body->turbo engine harness, if someone that has already done the swap will help that would be great, or if they wanna use my car to take pictures on how to do it even better!!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
well the problem is the importers often throw all the ecu's in a pile so you may get a 93 ecu with a 91 harness and that wont work without a repin...so by opening up the ecu you know what you got everytime

21 - 40 of 70 Posts