MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '86 n/a mr2 that is completely stock at the moment. I race it in local autocross events but I would like to add some hp's to it. I'm not looking for huge amounts of power. I would like between 150 to 200 hp and I would like it to be reliable. I need some input on which would be better for me. Building up the N/A motor or turbo charging it. Which would be easier, which would be cheaper, but mostly which would be more fun. If anyone has any advice or any stories of mods they have done please let me know. I am pretty new to this whole thing so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Danny

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
search, there are plenty of threads about this subject... people swapping in supercharged engines, people upgrading theirs to make it turbo or whatnot... i have no experiance with such...

do a search you should find a bunch of stuff

~mikeym

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know about the supercharged motor but why should I use that over the one that I have already? I don't mind cracking mine open and changing some internals if I need to but let me know why the sc motor would be better.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
First off, if you're gonn'a boost it, you don't start with an N/A motor - epsecially one out of an '86.

Crack it open and change some internals? Sure - crank, all bearings, rods, pistons, rings, drill block and install a knock sensor, then replace all the gaskets and button it back up (with a weaker block, I might add). Then replace the ECU, injectors, and AFM.

Or, you could start with the right engine.

Of course, if you had done a search (of this Board), you would have known that the pre-'88 block and crank will only support about 180HP. And that boosting without a knock sensor, and on stock N/A electronics, will turn all your $$ and hard work into a pile of worthless junk in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Now we are getting somewhere. Thanks for the info guys. The more I get the better off I will be. I appreciate it.

Ok so if I get the sc motor then what? Just run it supercharged, or build it up N/A style, or slap on a turbo instead of the supercharger?

Sorry if I sound like and idiot I am just trying to pool all the resources I can before i just rip into it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
krazy_racer said:
all the resources are here already..

SEARCH
I have been searching for awhile I just want some opinions from people who might want to help. If you don't want to help you don't need to. And I dont' need you to state the obvious. I have been a part of this forum for a while I am verry familiar with the search button. Thank you.

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
mischief495 said:
I have been searching for awhile I just want some opinions from people who might want to help.
If you've been searching for 5 minutes you will find your answers.
Everyone here will have the same opinion. Same as what they will tell the next person that jumps on here and asks the same questions like you.
There are thousands of threads on this.
http://mr2oc.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=56

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
i'll stop being a dick now :)

good luck bro... i know how it is... but when ur this lost u just need to keep reading posts...

post on different forums... talk to locals with SC's... go to meets...

start reading the chiltons or haynes on SC engines verus NA's...

good luck

~mikeym

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know you can search the internet and find millions of things. Millions of opinions. Everyone has their own. however it can be difficult to find info that directly effects your own interests. I was hoping to hear something from someone who is willing to give me something new. So again I will say if you don't want to help you don't need to. If you do thank you, If you dont want to, don't waste my time.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Set your power goal and make sure you can live with it. I have owned a stock 85NA, a modified 88SC (big pulley,etc..), and now drive a MK1.5 (300+fwhp 2L turbo). Each time it seemed like enough, until it wasn't. I have raced them all at road coarses.

If you really think you can live with 150-200 hp (flywheel hp) then the SC motor with a Cusco (or equivalent size) is just right for you. Most of the SC motors with the big pulley and basic bolt ons make around 150-160 hp at the wheels. Simplest path to your power goals. Turbo is not necessary. If you think you might want more, then go with a T25 turbo to start with (on a base of a SC motor) and then you can always get a bigger turbo (and support mods like fuel, etc...) later on to make as much as you want. There is a board member making more than 300 whp that way.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
id just put the sc in, and drive it and see how you feel. some people wont give up the low end grunt that the sc has for a turbo (i cant necessarily blame them.. instant torque is nice).. some people like the raw power a turbo can offer..

i wouldnt build an na. they're painfully slow, even built. if you do manage to get one to be quick, its totally undriveable on a daily basis.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do believe that 200 hp's would be more than enough for me for a while. I am not racing to be the fastest guy in my class. I just want to have fun in it. I really just want a little more power before I start doing suspension work. I don't plan on using this motor for too long. I have been toying with the idea of swapping a 20 valve or something better but that would probably be a ways down the road. I also plan on keeping this a daily driver for at least this year.

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
mischief495 said:
So again I will say if you don't want to help you don't need to. If you do thank you, If you dont want to, don't waste my time.
So you don't want anyone to waste your time but you want others to waste theirs repeating what's been said many times on this board? :rolleyes:
We'll cut you a break since you're a newb.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.