MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
very sick project.. you should also paint it up and make it look completely stock when your done.. would make a sweet sleeper :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Thanks bill, i was going to use 2mm plate around this area, with reinforcing ribs built in, with some sort of reflective foil on the engine side and plenty of dynamat on the inside for noise reduction.... gold foil is a brilliant idea.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Yep, no changing timing belts in situ on this bad boy! Needless to say that will be done before final fitting.Everything else is doable in the bay i think.

Q

·
0 Posts
Just came across this thread and it's definitely extreme. I must show it to my wife so she stops complaining about the time I spend on my 2 :thumbup

Regarding the fuel tank welding, supposedly you can do this by running an engine and piping the exhaust in to the tank (flushing out the oxygen). Might be :bsflag: but I heard it before the Internet existed so maybe it is true :smile:

Anyways, enjoyed the story of dropping in the lit rag at a range :) looking forward to how this turns out.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I'm still doing odd jobs on the car but nothing of any major interest. I should have some good updates soon though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
wow! Just saw this thread. Amazing job. Good luck with everything. These are the kinds of projects that give me motivation

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Sadly i can't leave everything else stock... one thing affects another on a build like this and it snowballs, for example.... with this much power you need fatter rear tyres, i have 10" wide rear rims and 255 tyres to put the power down, these will not fit under stock flares, so i needed to fit wide flares. Also you need bigger brakes, 325mm up front on 4 pot porsche 996 calipers and 323mm RX8 front rotors on the rear.

Wish it was possible to keep it looking stock, well it is! but the car won't put its power down or stop very well :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I am glad you mentioned that Paul. I think not enough people realize that just upgrading to a V8 is not enough. Other parts of the car need upgrading for the additional power.

Also, the fuel pump needs upgrading, possibly the radiator as well.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
more info on the porshe/rx8 brakes. Does everything just bolt on? If it does that would be one hell of an upgrade for us normal people. (non v8)
The porsche calipers are radial mount, so you have to make your own adapters for these... but because they are radial mount you can use any diameter rotor you like.

Rx8 rotors need a spigot for the rear and the 4x100 PCD drilling, then again custom brackets for the mk2 Turbo 22v rear calipers.

I am glad you mentioned that Paul. I think not enough people realize that just upgrading to a V8 is not enough. Other parts of the car need upgrading for the additional power.

Also, the fuel pump needs upgrading, possibly the radiator as well.
Yeah many people don't realize how much other stuff there is to do, i could get this v8 running in the bay in a matter of hours, but it won't work as a car.I have used a supra TT pump on mine, which flows more and quiet.... i am not a fan of the noisy walbro!

Also i am ripping out ALL of the stock radiator pipework and upgrading to something with a bigger bore and also an inline electric water pump to keep it flowing at idle... i suspect the engines pump is not going to be enough if left to idle and it will heatsoak badly.I have an ally rad going up front too just in case the stocker lets me down.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
chris i have never used the twosrus pump so i can't help there i'm afraid, some of the walbros are actually pretty quiet, it just seems to be luck of the draw with that pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
paul woods said:
Also i am ripping out ALL of the stock radiator pipework and upgrading to something with a bigger bore and also an inline electric water pump to keep it flowing at idle... i suspect the engines pump is not going to be enough if left to idle and it will heatsoak badly.I have an ally rad going up front too just in case the stocker lets me down.
If you put in a decent radiator, good set of fans and reduce pipework restrictions to a minimum you won't need the electric pump.
I haven't fitted an electric pump on my Esprit and the pipework is at least as long as on an MR2 and my car is fine, it easily maintains temp at idle even in the recent hot weather we have had here in the UK.

Hilly

81 - 100 of 196 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.