MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yes i only had one driveshaft to weld, the other was plug n play using Audi and Toyota parts.The welded one is all finished and ready to fit when final assembly comes.

Chris i will take some motor mount pics today for you, the engine itself is basically mounted on a cradle that i made, this cradle picks up on the stock v8 mount on the left side,on the right side i had to fabricate a mount that fits around the starter motor.

The cradle itself is welded to thick plates which bolt to another pair of thick plates that are welded to the chassis.This means the whole engine and cradle assembly can be dropped out complete very quickly.... here is a quick sketch of how i have mounted it (viewed from the rear of the car)

The transmission cradle is also all custom made,i will grab pics of that too.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Pics as promised, nothing very exciting but you get the idea.... here is my new front crossmember, it is tied into the old chassis and also the old crossmember.

Here is one of my chassis mounts with the engine cradle bolted to it....

This cradle runs under the sump as per my sketch above.

Here is my transmission cradle..... i had to make the carrier bracket that bolts to the case,then used two rubber mounting blocks onto the cradle...

So all of the structural engine/trans mounting work is done.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,698 Posts
filonin_2 said:
Gonna have enough ground clearance? Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks kinda low.
Should be all right, looks like it's about the same height as the mounting points for the lower control arms; also, it's inline more or less with the rear axle line, so no worries on high siding or approach angles. Just don't try to straddle an armadillo :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ground clearance is brilliant, it sits about 10mm higher than the lowest point which is the lower rear control arm mounting points.The V6 mk1's and 1.5's hang about 2" lower than this engine and it actually has better ground clearance than the 4age.Not a very tall engine at all.I think in the pics it looks low but it really isn't, my sump is 10mm ABOVE the floor pan.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'll join others (late) in saying, HOLY MOLY CRAPOLA!

That some of the craziest shiz I have ever seen. Very much looking forward to all the progress. I need to visit the v8 forum more . . .

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
It was time to shorten my fuel tank, this was necessary because the engine sits further forward so i needed to make the tank smaller by about 3".

We were very wary of the dangers involved in cutting and welding a fuel tank but we took every precaution and in the end it worked out well.... what i mean is we didn't die! :)

The tank was thoroughly washed out with a detergent and soaked for hours, then we let it breathe for 2 weeks, then it was washed out again.Finally we dropped a lit cloth into it with a 10m pole!! Nothing happened! :)

It was then considered safe to cut the end off the fuel tank,which i did with a grinder.3" was then removed from the tank and then we left the whole lot to breathe again for some weeks.

The last step was welding it back up, this was done using oxy-acetylene as it was the best method i could guarantee a water tight weld.The tank was then water tested by blocking off the pipes and letting it stand on end with water above the weld line... no leaks.Finally the welded area was primed,coated with epoxy resin and painted with 2k black.

Although we got away with doing this and we were totally sure it was safe i cannot condone the welding of any fuel tank so please be careful guys.

3" was removed at the red line and the tank end welded back on.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You could pressurize the tank with air at 1 or 2 psi with water in it to check for leaks. IMHO a little better than just looking for gravity powered leaks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
WOW!!!I'm looking for one of thies set ups now.... This will be my new power plant for the 962 project that I have been doing. What year and model is this again?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I made the camry V6 torque mount fit on the v8, this should help a lot!

Also i have boxed in around the engine now, just some angle spot welded in for now to give me an idea how it's all going to look....

With that done i plonked my seat in and it fits nicely and i have enough room even at 6ft tall.

61 - 80 of 196 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.