MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks, i will update this thread as often as i can.I have also decided to fit racelogic traction control too, the rear speed sensors will be easy but im struggling for a front wheel solution right now.I might have to fit rear stub axles to the mk1 front hubs,so that i can fit an empty outer CV joint which can carry an ABS ring.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
paul woods said:
Yeah we have the steering wheel on the correct side of the car :)
Yeah, you guys do have a steering wheel on the correct side, the CENTER! McLaren F1 and Gordan Murray's Rocket.

paul woods said:
This v8 engine will quite happily fit transversely and an adapter plate for the E153 would not be too hard to make....however! and it's a big however... the right side axle will not pass the block,even if we remove the oil filter assembly and relocate that (easy enough) the shaft would then want to exit through the oil pump.So that would mean a dry sump system, modification to the block and also a custom shortened timing belt.In the end there are just too many issues in making it work transversely,although im pretty sure it can be done.
Yes, it is possible, but using a Cadillac Northstar is SOOO much easier. I don't know how much it would cost you to get a N*, GM F40 6speed, and the flywheel/clutch I am using shipped to the UK, but I am willing to bet its cheaper than trying to make the Audi work.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
paul woods said:
Thanks, i will update this thread as often as i can.I have also decided to fit racelogic traction control too, the rear speed sensors will be easy but im struggling for a front wheel solution right now.I might have to fit rear stub axles to the mk1 front hubs,so that i can fit an empty outer CV joint which can carry an ABS ring.

ST165 parts?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah i think so Bill, stick a couple of St165/185 CV's into the front hubs (with rear stubs fitted of course) and drill a hole in the hub for the sensor.... it's the only way i can think of to get a speed signal off the front wheels,unless i drilled holes in the rotor somewhere and pointed the sensor at that??

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
paul woods said:
Fair enough but my point was its a lot heavier than the mk1 triangles which are very light... i can see why you have had to build your frame though.
Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, I didn't get an e-mail.

The reason I have to go custom, is because of the left side CV joint on the GM F40 transaxle. It exits right where the front bolt of the stock Xmember is at (the super long bolt). Also, the lower control arm ear, and the Xmember itself interfere with this CV joint.

The axis of the differential and the CV joints are a lot furthur aft than the E153. The F40 is a 3 shaft trans.

Also, the differential case is a LOT wider than the E153. Its two inches wider, and the left side of the Differntial is 2 inches furthur to the left than the E153.

Both of these combined means that most of the left side of the stock Xmember is simply in the way.

Modifying the stock Xmember would require so much work that its better/easier to start over with a new Xmember. I am making good progress into this, but had a setback in another area, the front trans mount.

04-26-2009 EDIT: not 100% sure yet, but I was able to move my drivetrain furthur forwards, which means I MIGHT be able to use the stock cross member. I am still determining for sure that I can do this. Right now, it looks promising. See my Project MV8R thread for more details.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Oh yeah, for a N/S engine arrangement (longitudinal), the Audi V8 is probably one of the best choices (because its so short). Especially because there is a readily available Audi transaxle that just bolts on with no adaptor needed.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A bit more progress, i spent my weekend on the car and i have managed to sort out a way to control the gears.I had a long hard look at the audi gearbox and its selector rod and decided an Mr2 style shifter assembly might work.The plan was to make everything from a Mk2 NA box work.... and after a few hours work i managed to attach the mr2 forks....

Mk3 cables were found to be the perfect length to stretch from the gearstick to the box linkage....

This works really well,i can get all 6 forward gears very easily and reverse.At the stick end it needed a little more work, i had to lengthen one of the cable holding brackets and extend both cables with tubing, finally attaching the mk1 cable ends onto the mk3 cables.It all works really well and a massive hurdle out of the way.

I have also rebuilt the front engine bay crossmember but forgot to take pics.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Looking good Paul. I haven't really looked at shifter cables yet. I have a set of 91 na cables, and a set of Pontiac G6 cables. One problem I have is that my engine is right in the path of where the cables go through the firewall.

Are the Mk3 cables longer than mk2 cables? If so, by how much?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Quick update, i was worried that my axles were going to be a nightmare part of my swap to figure out, in the end it was incredibly easy.I have used a combination of Audi and Toyota parts for them and unbelievably they all fit together.I will release details of the axle parts when i know it is going to work 100%, but i honestly can't see a problem.I have been very lucky that there is some Audi/Toyota compatability with these.

Other than that i have relocated the alternator using a small Toyota one instead of the monstrous audi unit.Also i have decided to go with the VEMS Ecu instead of trying to figure out the Audi Ecu, this will get the engine running a lot quicker than expected.

More pics coming shortly

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You might want to check out Hilly's (Andy Hills) Audi V8 in a Lotus Esprit swap. He is using the VEMS ecu, and can help you sort it. He is in the UK as well.

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Oh MAN! This is totally cool! Do you mind giving me some dimensions? Your basic ones such as front of engine to 1/2 shafts and 1/2 shafts to the rear snout would be great. Also width of engine and weight of the full engine/transaxle would be very helpful!

Thanks!

PS- you may have started me down a very bad, bad path.... v8 La Bala anyone?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Mr Graber sir, an honor to hear from you, your project is legendary this side of the pond!

Here are the dimensions of the engine and trans....

Total length (Audi ABZ engine + 01X gearbox) = 1200mm (47 1/4")
Length of engine (front pulley to bellhousing face) = 490mm (19 3/16")
Length of 01X gearbox (bellhousing to rear casing) =710mm (27 15/16")
Max width of engine (across exhaust manifolds) = 760mm (29 15/16")
Max height of engine (sump to idle air valve) = 660mm (26")
Drive shaft position (front pulley to centre of drive flange) =690mm (or from gearbox rear casing = 510mm) (20") (27 3/16")

Sorry but we don't have any weights at present.

As you can see this is a very compact unit, not sure it will fit in La Bala without lengthening the chassis though behind the seats? One things for sure, it would be insane.

If there is any help i can give you steve just ask.

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Thanks Paul. You are very kind.

I've mocked up the engine with your dimensions in Solidworks and just as I expected it fits like it belongs. My frame is positioned perfectly to attach the engine and transaxle. Like Bill suggested the fuel cell moves either to the front or on the sides of the engine like a GT40.

I won't go into my ideas here (This is your thread after all) but will start my own thread when the time comes.

Thanks to you and your photos! I will be following your build religiously.

I do hope you can weigh your engine sometime soon as that will 'seal the deal' for me if it's under 600# complete

Steve Graber

21 - 40 of 196 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.