MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
what can I say. This is just amazing. It's SO cool that you are / can do this work - it inspires our lesser efforts :D

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
My V8 has now been tore down for new gaskets, detailing the whole thing and some headwork (350bhp NA just isn't enough , i'm shooting for 400 :) )

I have decided to ditch this massive pile of crap oil filter housing/cooler, it weighs about 6kgs and about 8kgs with oil and water in it... a total waste of time...

So off it came, i will plumb too flexi oil lines to those two ports instead...

My bores are in perfect unworn condition which i am very happy about, in fact the whole engines internals look like new.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Paul,

I am interested in how you will re-route the oil coolant, and the oil lines from the filter/cooler assembly you are ditching.

All of these ABZ's have that huge thing on the side, so I understand why you would want to ditch it.

Andy Hill (ABZ in a 84 Lotus Esprit project) had some trouble with this as documented in his motorgeek thread. I think he eventually got it straightened out.

034motorsports sells an exhaust header made for a turbo. Apparently, the header is made for an another Audi I4 engine that shares much of the dimensions of the ABZ. So, twin turbo is the way they would have to be used. How cool would that be?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well 034 also sell an oil filter adapter plate that bolts to the block, and then converts to AN lines... but i think i am just going to tap threads into the block myself.

The coolant line will just have a fitting tapped into it ,pretty easy that one.

I will eventually go SC on this engine i think, leaves my exhaust system alone and there is a huge Vee to mount a charger, less fuss and ultimately more rewarding :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I did not know about the 034 oil/coolant adaptor, that is new to me. THat's really cool that they made that.

Very cool, they have all kinds of new goodies for the ABZ! Its the Chevy Small Block of Audi!

Oil/cooler adaptor
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_64&products_id=18677

New version of the flywheel, much cheaper!
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_64&products_id=18554

ARP head studs!
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_64&products_id=494

Motor mounts!
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_64&products_id=18443

Where will you get a SC manifold for the ABZ ? Fab it yourself?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yeah they do some pretty nice products now, i'm just not sure on ABZ/AHC compatability on a lot of it.

Yes i will just make the SC manifold when the time comes, shouldn't be too difficult, actually my biggest problem there will be routing the drive belt past the front coolant hoses, they are in an awkward place.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Update pics from my work last weekend, i got loads done, all of the major fuel/vac/servo lines installed on fixed tubing/ P clipped up properly, along with the clutch line.... and the whole bulkhead area where the engine sits has had heat mat bonded to it. It needs a little tidying here and there but the bay is coming on a treat now...

Also my 034motorsport oil gallery adapter came, here it is fitted...

I had to make the heater line bypass assembly pretty much from scratch... i used a pipe with an O ring on it that fits the block snugly, then swung it 90*, stuck a securing bracket onto it and hardpiped it to the original heater line that would normally go into the oil cooler assembly..... i think it has worked out quite well...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Well this all metal water pipe was my second attempt, the first effort was just the 90* fitting on the block with a rubber hose going to the stock heater line, then it dawned on me the exhaust header runs right next to this line, so i decided to make it out of steel to be safe.

What audi were thinking of with that huge lump of crap nailed to the side of the engine i have no idea, but it's in the bin now :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yeah, my thoughts were along the lines of "what was Audi thinking, making a compact V8 that could not be mounted transverse?"
They would have to change the oil pump location (which is in the sump), the pump drive pulley location, and change the block casting to make this engine transverse friendly.

I mean, it would have been easy to just design the PT, ABH, ABZ, etc., so they could use it transverse or longitudinal, but instead, they limited thier options.

I also noticed the Quattro drivetrain concept requires the shortest engine that Audi can possibly make (which is why these Audi V8's are so short), as they have to hang the engine out in front of the front axle, which ruins handling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro_(four_wheel_drive_system)

If they went transverse, ala Celica All-Trac, EVO, and similar transverse engine/trans All Wheel Drive (4 wheel drive to you Brits), they would not have to go through all the machinations they did to make Quattro work the way it currently does. Subaru gets away with it because they have an engine that is only 2 cylinders long

Its interesting to me sometimes how car designers will bend over backwards to make an idea work, when doing it another way is more simple (Occam's Razor).

Even the Porsche rear engine makes more sense to me when used in a AWD arrangement vs. Quattro.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
shoot. you might as well cam that bad boy while your in the heads.. get a cam that will be good for the SC your going to drop in later on this way you dont have to pull things apart when your ready just for cams..

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I don't think there are cams available for this engine?

I picked up my new water pump, cambelt and top end gasket sets, came to a grand total of ?360 which is about $500 i think? Not cheap but i want nothing but quality parts on the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Today i got the heads torqued down, and the cams refitted... all a bit alien to me working on Audi stuff after so many years of Toyota engines but they are beautifully engineered. My cam covers are also painted, i've gone for a stock Toyota Mk2 shade...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Today was spent detailing more engine parts and fitting more new gaskets/seals.

I have spent so much time detailing now that i have decided to leave the plastic engine covers off permanently.

If you look carefully you can see my homemade camshaft locking tools in the rear shots, i am just waiting for my modified crank pulley to come back (new trigger set up) and the timing belt can go back on for good.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.