Today was a good day, no more wiring my engine up to a battery on the floor, the engine is now fully integrated into the car and it now starts up off the key. I still have lots of wiring to do but all of my major signals are fed to the dashboard now. Alternator is hooked up and charging well and all of the cars circuits are alive now.
My Vems is now safely located out of the engine bay away from the 8 cylinder inferno just behind the drivers seat....
I have left my serial port connector in the bay for mapping, I have an extension lead for it to reach the cockpit if need be. I might make a little bracket for the port if i run out of jobs to do.
Lastly i heat shielded all of my engine harness where it runs near the exhaust, i really am giving this as much attention as possible in the heat dept.
damn... just looked re-read all three sections (yes every post) and I am blown away.... This makes almost every other project on the board look like a joke. Hell the only thing I think even comes close is MANDALAY's Rotrex Red Top Beams Project in the Mk2 section.
Thanks, i wasn't aware of Mandalays build, so i searched for it and you just cost me 2hrs of my life reading that. His attention to detail is astounding and quite frankly makes my project look like a child did it.... he just has an unbelievable level of workmanship, i know it's all time v money but hell you have to have the patience and will to see something like that through while keeping the standard THAT high is just jawdropping.
Now that the engine dept is almost finished i've turned attention to getting brakes on this thing. I've been hoarding these parts for years so they are a little rusty but i will work some magic on them once i've got them working.
First i fitted my new master cylinder i got from Gouky, it's a 1" Toyota Van one, although many other Toyota's share the same bore and fitment. The stock Mk1 MC is 7/8ths so this 1" unit will move more fluid to my four pot calipers and reducing pedal travel. I had to reverse the reservoir as this is a RHD car (MC is from a USDM LHD car) to stop it fouling the brake pipes.
The reason for needing more fluid movement is these Porsche 996 calipers, i made my own adapters to bolt them to the hub and i have used a BMW 325mm disc redrilled to 4x100 PCD and a hubcentric spigot ring inserted courtesy of AH-CNC, i need to clean them up a little and paint the calipers but otherwise done.
A couple of pics of my caliper adaptor brackets, i made these by bolting a plate to the hub, and a plate to the caliper which was aligned perfectly onto the disc, then the two plates were welded together. I V'd the plates both sides for maximum penetration and then added the end gussets for support afterwards. The hub mounting has the stock bolt thread tapped into it and the caliper mounting has a 1.5x12 thread on its high tensile bolt which has a close fitting shoulder inside the caliper.
So I was looking around at engines because of an idea I had to build a 16 cylinder 4 bank X 2 cycle from used snowmobile engines..
While hunting around to see if it had been done before. I came across the Bugatti and I noticed that they use a vw W16 engine.. I got to thinking, I wonder if vw...
I've been inspired by Paul Woods' Audi project to investigate the possibility of using the Audi 4.2 v8 in my MKI MR2 based La Bala project. Using the dimensions provided by Paul and an estimate of 650# engine/transaxle weight I modeled the engine in Solidworks. To be truthful the exact weight of...
I'm starting my new build in the next few weeks. The drivetrain arrives this thursday. Engine is a 4.2L v8 out of a 2001 audi a6, chassis is a 1991 USDM MR2. Transmission will be a 6 speed manual. This will be the most unique engine swap I've ever done, probably also the most labor intensive...
So I'm planning to put this:
EDIT: THE E153 IS A HUGE TRANS AND I COULDN'T MAKE IT FIT THE MR-S. SWITCHING TO THE GM F40.
After much haranguing of my wife, i finally got the green light to start buying stuff
The general timeline of this project:
August '14: buy an LS4 and...