MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
paul woods said:
I basically eat, sleep and breathe Mr2, it's a medical condition.
I've been suffering the same thing lately. I guess if I ventilated the garage a little better while welding there wouldn't be so much eating and breathing of it...

It's midnight here, so it should be right about time to open the doors at Woodsport. Might as well see what's on TV :thumbup

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. The decision to look or look away will define the viewer not you. Besides the DSM guys are all about it.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Final finishing off in the engine bay now, i have wrapped my silencer in aluminiumized glass mat in an effort to help keep heat under control....

I've also used sticky backed reflective foil on the side walls, this will also go on the rear aluminium wall when that gets fitted...

How effective will all of this heatproofing be? I honestly don't know, but it's got to be better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Today was a good day, no more wiring my engine up to a battery on the floor, the engine is now fully integrated into the car and it now starts up off the key. I still have lots of wiring to do but all of my major signals are fed to the dashboard now. Alternator is hooked up and charging well and all of the cars circuits are alive now.

My Vems is now safely located out of the engine bay away from the 8 cylinder inferno just behind the drivers seat....

I have left my serial port connector in the bay for mapping, I have an extension lead for it to reach the cockpit if need be. I might make a little bracket for the port if i run out of jobs to do.

Lastly i heat shielded all of my engine harness where it runs near the exhaust, i really am giving this as much attention as possible in the heat dept.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
damn... just looked re-read all three sections (yes every post) and I am blown away.... This makes almost every other project on the board look like a joke. Hell the only thing I think even comes close is MANDALAY's Rotrex Red Top Beams Project in the Mk2 section.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thanks, i wasn't aware of Mandalays build, so i searched for it and you just cost me 2hrs of my life reading that. His attention to detail is astounding and quite frankly makes my project look like a child did it.... he just has an unbelievable level of workmanship, i know it's all time v money but hell you have to have the patience and will to see something like that through while keeping the standard THAT high is just jawdropping.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Now that the engine dept is almost finished i've turned attention to getting brakes on this thing. I've been hoarding these parts for years so they are a little rusty but i will work some magic on them once i've got them working.

First i fitted my new master cylinder i got from Gouky, it's a 1" Toyota Van one, although many other Toyota's share the same bore and fitment. The stock Mk1 MC is 7/8ths so this 1" unit will move more fluid to my four pot calipers and reducing pedal travel. I had to reverse the reservoir as this is a RHD car (MC is from a USDM LHD car) to stop it fouling the brake pipes.

The reason for needing more fluid movement is these Porsche 996 calipers, i made my own adapters to bolt them to the hub and i have used a BMW 325mm disc redrilled to 4x100 PCD and a hubcentric spigot ring inserted courtesy of AH-CNC, i need to clean them up a little and paint the calipers but otherwise done.

This should be ample up front to stop the Mk1 V8.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
A couple of pics of my caliper adaptor brackets, i made these by bolting a plate to the hub, and a plate to the caliper which was aligned perfectly onto the disc, then the two plates were welded together. I V'd the plates both sides for maximum penetration and then added the end gussets for support afterwards. The hub mounting has the stock bolt thread tapped into it and the caliper mounting has a 1.5x12 thread on its high tensile bolt which has a close fitting shoulder inside the caliper.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
simply amazing.

I'm going right back outside into the heat to keep working on my little MK1 BT 6 speed.

keep inspiring us, Paul - and like everybody else says ... can't WAIT to see this car in action!

61 - 80 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.