MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A good friend of ours called Jay who is really into his photography came to Woodsport today and had a bit of a play on my V8 engine....

Q

·
0 Posts
Awesome pics, the engine looks very compact for it's capacity? If so, I guess that was one of the things that influenced you in that direction..

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep it's shorter than any other V8 out there, and the most powerful for its size as well. It is actually shorter than the Toyota V6's believe it or not.... i love this engine.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
paul woods said:
Yep it's shorter than any other V8 out there, and the most powerful for its size as well. It is actually shorter than the Toyota V6's believe it or not.... i love this engine.
Very nice. :thumbup

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Love the depth of field on those photos. Your engine looks fantastic btw.

I am on hold with my V8 Bala project since I figured out how to get my 2009 direct injection 2.0 turbocharged ecotec engine to run on an unlocked factory ECU. Of course if someone asked me to build them a V8 Audi 4.2 longitudinal La Bala I would do it. :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Seeing as today was a bank holiday naturally means it's V8 time! I get so little time to work on this project that bank holidays are a blessing.

Todays mission was to make an alternator bracket and adjuster from scratch. I started by cutting the mounting point off a 4age alternator bracket, just the pivot point part. I then made an angle iron piece that bolted onto the top two block holes, aligned the mounting bracket so the alternator was square to the crank pulley and tack welded it on.

Then made a lower section on the bottom two block holes as a support for the top bracket. Here is the completed alt bracket...

I also made a lower adjusting bar, nothing flashy, just a slotted bar with a 90* bend in it and pivoting off the block.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a brand new Mk1 alternator that i've been saving for a rainy day.... well today it rained :)

The completed alternator assembly... everyone's happy!

Just for giggles, here is my v8 next to a 1mz-fe....

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The V8 is the same length from bellhousing face to crank pulley face as the V6. The V8 is not as tall, it's about 2" shorter height wise. The V8 is about 2" wider from exhaust header to exhaust header than the V6.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It doesn't look like i did a lot here today but progress all the same. I made my hardpipe heater lines that go around the engine bay, i could have just slung rubber going from the engine all the way to the matrix at the front but that is not how Toyota do things and i like to copy their way of doing things as much as possible. That is household copper piping, it was the only thing i could find that would let me add bends in all the right places and form the pipework to contour the bay ( and no i'm not going to be fitting a combi boiler in the frunk! :) )

I have also cut off the old V6 engine mounts and i'm not far away from getting the engine bay painted and engine rehung for the final time.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
Too bad there aren't any transverse transmissions that will work with this motor. Would be much harder than swapping a 1MZ then.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.