MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
The latest is i've been doing bodywork, making the venting in the frunk panel for the bonnet and generally doing lots of little jobs not worthy of reporting.

The plan is to get the body into paint by Spring.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Paul,

If you could make the column work on the mark2, especially for us weirdos that drive on the right side of the road (Fish Called Wanda?!?! hahaha), you might be able to make a few quid selling them to us in the USA. I would love to save some weight by getting rid of electro-hydraulic stuff.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hi Chris, it has been suggested on another forum that i do this, and it's easily doable, but i just don't have any spare time at the moment. The best i could do is write an article or something on how it was done for others to copy.

I've a million Mr2 projects in my head that i wish i had time for.

<kevin kline on>"YOU _____HOLE!!!"<off> :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Here in the USA, we don't have vauxhalls, so we would need someone in the UK or possibly Europe to ship us the columns.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I could definately ship a crate of columns over with everything needed, but it would need a group buy or something organizing.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
cbulen said:
Here in the USA, we don't have vauxhalls, so we would need someone in the UK or possibly Europe to ship us the columns.
Vauxhall is GM and there is a certain amount of commonality with our (US market) GM product line. We don't have the Corsa, but we did get the Astra through Saturn. I have no idea whether the Astra had a similar system or not, though...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The body mods continued today, Jay came over and we decided to spend a few hours finding a rear wing solution for this car. The Noble M12 wing i'd bought looked hideous, and i bought a Celica Gen7 TRD wing too, that looked utter shat on the car as well, in fact the only thing that seemed to suit it was the original Mk1 wing!

However this is a Mk1 V8, and it needed to be different, so after a lot of playing around with various bits of cardboard/masking tape and viewing the car from every conceivable angle we decided a variation on the Plumley theme was called for.

I wanted something aggressive yet subtle, so we chopped the ends off a stock Mk1 wing and moved them outboard onto the quarter panel, these will be permanent on the quarter much like a Rev1/2 Mk2 rear wing is, in fact exactly like that, not blended in or anything just bolted to the quarter. Then the Noble wing was sacrificed for its carbon blade, this was chopped down to fit between the two end pieces and will be part of the boot lid (i will make plates joining this to the boot lid later)

The end result is a wider than stock Mk1 wing that has a carbon blade and for good measure it's been Plumley'd to give it that aggressive overhang at the rear and line up with the rear bumper.

We like this a lot, it suits the car better than anything else we've tried.

As with all bodymods we do it needs quite a few hours sanding and shaping to get it right, but i think this goes with the very wide stance of the car very well while retaining as much of the orginal Mk1 style as possible, a Mk1 V8 version if you will.

Huge thanks to Jay for bouncing ideas off and being a second pair of eyes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Currently its a laugh / Cry car. if you see it on the street you will laugh at it, then if you hear it and see it take off you Cry cause your jealous.

This car is a work of art, just needs the paint to finish the masterpiece.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
This weekend saw a lot more work on the "Jaywing" , which is now bolted down and has had the side panels reprofiled, i'll grab some pics later.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Today was spent doing more work to the "Jaywing" , it's really starting to come along now.

The blade supports are now finished and welded to the bootlid... i've had loads of emails from people asking how the blade opens with the lid, here you can see how it's done...

Closed there is only a slight panel sized gap, i think it looks OEM as hell!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)

More work needed on the rear parts of the side panels, i'd say a day on these max and the Jaywing will be finished. Hopefully this wing looks like a Mk1 V8 version without going too OTT.

The keener eyed will spot we reprofiled the side pieces to be the same shape as the blade by removing the yellow area from the original design.... works much better from the rear and side views.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.