MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
What should my video be showing and i'll show it? At the minute i can't put any power down over 4000rpm until i get my LSD sorted.

My car is too old for the tax legislation so it falls into the same category as the 4age.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Oh right so you want to see a gymkhana video or track day video? Not a problem, as soon as the car is road legal i will be taking it to a few track days which will be filmed.

My car is taxable, it just falls into the same bracket it did with the 4age engine, so ?110/6 months.

The new tax law is for vehicles 2001 and newer and if my car was newer i'd have to pay a fortune.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Show us what you mean by not being able to put down power after 4k, I would love to see it.
If you look at the video again of the straight line pull and listen until the car is just about level with the camera you can hear a chirp from the rear wheels as they start to let go, that is when i back off... there is just so much torque, even on the move above 4000rpm it spins a tire up. So at the moment it's just too dangerous to floor it at speed.

Quaife LSD
Better tyres
Racelogic traction control

And i'm sure it will put it down.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I feel like the LSD, the tyres and not flooring it on dusty roads will help a lot. Seems like a shame to try and harness such a beast with traction control; however, you would know best since you've driven it. I guess you can always turn it off when you want to hoonaging

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
That's the beauty of the Racelogic system, you can decide how much "slip" you want to dial in or turn it off altogether, it also features launch control which gives me the horn :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I'm not, it's insane enough as it is right now and all of the turbo crap will just weigh too much. I'd probably turbo a Mk2 V8 chassis but not this one, for me i set out to build a Mk1 V8 and the engine side of things is now mission accomplished, it's time to make this thing look the part and get some mag features.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Today i worked on my power assisted steering upgrade, for those that don't know this is a hybrid Vauxhall Corsa/Mk1 column that i have made, it allows all of the original Mk1 switchgear, steering wheel boss and plastic cowlings to go back on and even retains the Mk1 rake adjustment for height control. This hybrid column allows 3 modes of operation....

1. On fulltime- giving maximum assistance at all speeds
2. On but adjustable- i can set whatever level of assistance i want
3. Off- behaves exactly like a standard Mk1 column when off, there is no drag through the motor with it turned off, in effect it's just a column.

I managed to install it without hacking into the dash support frame, but there will be mods to do to the stereo housing and brackets where the motor now partially sits...

I had to make a hybrid lower knuckle joint that marries Corsa knuckle with Mk1...

I'm pretty chuffed with this upgrade, and it makes this car the only one worldwide with optional and adjustable PS assistance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cool steering setup but i am afraid you wasted your time, you put it on the wrong side of the car you fool! ;) liking this build.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thought you might like to see how well this power steering conversion actually works, bear in mind this is at a standstill, with big 17" wheels on the front with 215 tyres and a tiny steering wheel. So you can see before the ignition is switched on how much effort it takes to turn the wheel, then one finger with the system turned on.

Excuse the mucky hands, it's been a busy day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ee7QUp5z8

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Yep, it's just a motor that helps drive the column, a much lighter and neater solution than any other forum of PAS.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Cooling on a Mk1 V8 is of ultimate importance, despite fitting the aluminium 50mm thick rad and twin 10" spal fan set up and upgrading the size of the radiator pipes by 8mm diameter i wanted to get the ducting right through the rad.

I have the Styleauto front bumper which has a huge gaping mouth on it, from here air hits the rad, goes through it and is then trapped against the underside of the bonnet with nowhere to go, not a major problem on a stock Mk1, but on a V8 we need to address this. This mod is 50% function and 50% form though as i really like the aggressive look it gives. We also get the added bonus of possibly a bit of free downforce on the front end as air sweeps over the bonnet.

The airflow path....

Mods to do to the inside include a box section in yellow, the bonnet vent sits on top of this meaning rain water falling on the bonnet gets channeled back to the road, no wet frunks! Also the original frunk seal edge will go back in (red).

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The vent is made from light angle and plated sides, using the original bonnet surface bent downward to form the slope. This needs seam sealing etc before paint.

Lots of ventilation for the big rad now....

Functional and aggressive, i love it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Paul,
I wanted to do that to my car as well. I never was very impressed with the way the airflow was directed through the stock setup. I haven't had any cooling problems with mine but I like the way yours looks. Nice work

·
Registered
58 Posts
No I haven't tried to sell it yet. I am going to be out of town for a couple of weeks and when I get back I think I might list it then.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.