MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continued from here http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=395313&page=4

Well the natives were getting restless so i thought it was time to update with progress, but don't blame me if it's a boring one, sanding, fibreglass mating and filling and then more sanding is not exactly riveting stuff!

I have started to get the correct profile on my arches, these were fitted about 2 years ago but i never got round to sorting their final shape, so i've cut them to create a tapered arch lip, much like Tiggers arches.

I've also started glassing in the sideskirts, these are getting flush blended and need the extra strength to prevent cracking.

I've glassed the sideskirt into the rear arch as well, this stuff is just structural at the mo, the final shaping will make it all come together.

Now on the rear i have extended my arches down to meet the rear bumper, this is an area that i can't make my mind up about....

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need to decide on a final profile for the bottom arch edge... i personally favour this one at the moment...

Then there's this...

And this... which is my least favourite.

Lots more sanding being done next week, i really want this car into its final paint quickly in time for the show season.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today saw a decision made on the rear arch lower lip profile, i decided to go halfway between option 1 and 2, that seemed to be the general opinion....

Also started work on blending out the rear bumper swage, the body on this car is going to be a smooth and uncluttered as possible.

Most of the work today went into this area, i sanded back the structural fibral and started getting the final shape right with thin skims of filler...

This area will need 4 to 5 skims and flats to get it somewhere near before the high build primer goes on, that's when the real work starts!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem, the bodywork is all pretty boring stuff, but i'll keep updating so you can see the transformation from ratlook to shiney shiney :)

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Presure2 said:
great work, paul.
you may consider this stuff boring, but for some of us seeing all the work that goes into a project like this is absolutly brilliant!
like how you ended up on the rear arches, blends together nicely IMO.
cant wait to see moar!!!
I agree with this and keep up the good work

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Excellent.
I have watched the careful deliberations on various aspects of this build... I am always amazed at how much work it is to make appropriate modifications to the body lines on the MKI...!! I went through the whole spoiler agonies as well, designing, redesigning... I finally opted for no spoiler... lol!

I like your final decision on the angle of the flares at the back... it respects the vertical line formed by the side of the quarter panel as seen directly from the back. Are you thinking of having the same angle in front of the rear wheel also?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Gandalf, no i think the front part of the rear arch will have to echo the shape of the rear part of the front arch which is practically a 90* shape with a radiused corner, but that plan could change a hundred times!

No spoiler actually looks pretty good! It was one of the options i considered.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts