MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 100 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
This transmission is brand new, there is no LSD in the factory unit, but the 4WD version of this box may well have a front wheel LSD in it that will swap over, i will have to check.

The older style trans has no LSD either but you can get one from Quaife that will fit for ?900 (about $6305939 :) )

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hi Paul,

I still have my Audi ABZ V8. THis trans is the answer to a lot of our problems. Since the starter mounts to the engine, and in your photos above you cut off the starter mounting area of the block, how will you mount a starter? I see the starter in the above photos. Does it bolt to the trans? Do the starter teeth line up with the flywheel ring gear?

I see that your Audi V8 still has the oil cooler/oil filter housing still attached. Do you think this must still be removed like on some of the previous projects that used the ABZ?

550mm from axle output flange (on transmission) center to front of engine--about 21.7 inches. THat's really good!

Just thinking out loud:

Stock MR2 Turbo is 20.5 inches from axle center to the firewall at the bottom--but the firewall slopes so it is closer to the engine at the top of the firewall.

If we move everything back a bit, a small amount of angle on the CV joints should not hurt anything.

May still need a large notch in the stock crossmember (ala Mike_H's white MR2 with the Audi V8), but it may just be possible to use the transmission you found + Audi V8 for a N/S swap with no firewall mods.

Does the Transmission bolt up to the ABZ ?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hi chris , yes this trans is the answer to everyones v8 prayers in all honesty, it bolts to every Audi v8 variant as long as you remove the starter motor mounting from the block, in answer to your question the starter bolts to the trans on these new boxes so it just gets even better!

All you need to do is have the flexplate modified for the new trans, it couldn't be simpler.

I think this whole drivetrain will fit with maybe only the top of the firewall cut which I'd personally do anyway as an access hatch.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
You use the new trans flexplate and the starter will mesh with it. You have to see this flywheel/clutch assembly, it's not your usual design.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
So this uses the 034 Motorsports new version ABZ flywheel, where they re-use the Auto Trans flexplate/ring gear ?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
No it's hard for me to explain (on my phone right now, will post pics tomorrow) but basically the OB1 flexplate bolts to the engine, this has the starter ring gear on it, this flexplate bolts to another plate called a transmission plate. The trans plate has a neck on it's middle 3" that extends into the bellhousing by 2" and bolts to the main flywheel, this means there's a gap between trans plate and flywheel for the shaft to run from the diff to the left side. The clutch then bolts to the fly in the normal way, it's a crazy set up but genius.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I wonder if the W12 from the VW Phaeton will bolt up to this trans. It appears to be very similar to the Audi V8 from the rear. That W12 would be easier to shoe horn into the MR2. Just thinking out loud again.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
After discovering this trans will bolt to the V8 we discussed the W12 and W16 on Twobrutal and the general opinion is there's a very good chance it would work, however this trans is from a 2.0ltr TDI and it's the limits of that that will be the critical factor.

Some diagrams/pics of the OB1 trans plate/flywheel/clutch... ignore the clutch type in this diagram this is from the 4WD version of this unit....

You can see the gap between trans plate and flywheel for the shaft to run through the bellhousing.

The back of the trans plate, this bolts to the flexplate on the engine that has the starter ring gear on it....

How the trans plate bolts to the flexplate.... there's an access panel under the bellhousing to undo 6 bolts one at a time while rotating the engine, like unbolting an auto torque convertor.

I will need to modify the OB1 flexplate to work on the Audi V8/BMW V12 crank boss, that is the only mod needed to make the whole flywheel/clutch assembly work.... it's very cool.

You can also see the starter mounting holes above, so whatever engine this is mated to all you need to do is make clearance on the block. That is the bad news, from crank centre to inside edge of the starter motor is 4.5", so any engine with a block wider than that and the starter won't fit, luckily the ABZ/AHC etc are less than that (just! and with some grinding!) and the V12 is less also..... no idea if the W12/16 engines are wider in that area, that would be a bad day if you bought one and the starter doesn't clear the block.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
How do you get the bolts in there to bolt the trans plate to the flex plate? is there an access hole from the rear, and do you just rotate the plates to line up each bolt with the access hole, so you can put them in one at a time?

What's the torque rating of this trans (and the weight of the car that they give this rating for)?
Also, what are the gear ratios and final drive?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Yep as in my last post there's an access panel in the bellhousing, it's a rotate and undo job...

What's the torque rating of this trans (and the weight of the car that they give this rating for)?
Also, what are the gear ratios and final drive?
I really don't know Chris, this trans is brand new, there is very little info out there on it, what info we have got has been taken from the B5 4WD version but i doubt the ratios will be the same for that.

Going off my older Audi 6 speed that i have on my V8 (same 2.0ltr diesel engine type they bolted it to) the gearing is perfect, not too short and a nice lengthy first, so i'd expect Audi to keep the ratios similar.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Lets not forget that this "family" gearbox is used in the RS-4, maybe not the same gearset but the casing will be the same or similar style. that thing chucks out ooodles of torques and MTM take them up to 535whp and 500NM. Not to mention i think they still do a 3.0tdi FWD which is around the 350NM mark. I think it'd be fairly safe to say this box has good power handling potential.

Again remember it's gonna be propelling something a shedload lighter than an A4 so the strains are somewhat lessened (mk1 particularly)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
The Volkswagen Group W16 engine as configured for the Bugatti Veyron EB16.4 is a 16 cylinder quad-turbocharged engine with four valves per cylinder.

The engine is 71 centimetres (28 in) long, and weighs approximately 400 kilograms (882 lb).

Maximum power output is 736 kilowatts (1,001 PS; 987 bhp) at 6,000 revolutions per minute (rpm), with a maximum torque of 1,250 newton metres (922 ft?lbf) (127.5 kgf?m) from 2,200 to 5,500 rpm.[2] Some automotive press outlets have also reported that the W16 engine has been considered for use in other Volkswagen Group products - specifically a Bentley.

picture a MR2 shooting flames like this....

81 - 100 of 158 Posts