MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

my twosrus short shifter write-up

1K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  CheerioKing 
#1 ·
I couldn't find anything like this anywhere so I made one. I hope no one cares?! (maybe the reason there isn't one around to my knowledge)

The install is self explanatory when you tear the car open but I decided to document it anyway as I hardly get to do anything to my car for lack of funds as of now.

by the way I love this product, can't say enough about it! Works great and with no notchiness either. Smooth as silk shifting!

Here it is:

PS it is a BLOG so if you come across this later look in the DIY tab on the website and the link to installing a short shifter.
installation instructions drop plate
JonO/RSe Short Shift Combo Pack install

#3 ·
Bill Strong said:
I know I made an install sheet many moons ago.
It should have been included with the RSe plate. It had pictures and all sorts of stuff.
nope! I got installation instructions for the short shifter plate only, but no biggy. The install is easy but I had never seen anything like it before (noob, woot!) so I just started taking things apart and kinda figured it out really easy. The drop plate had me stymied for like 5 minutes, but I got that too. Again, I could't find a DIY on the net (one may exist but not to my knowledge) so i made one.

#6 ·
20vtmk1 said:
That's a good write-up. I think I will find this useful seeing as I will be doing this soon
Yes I am lurking pressing refresh...j/k on a side note and one thing I forgot to mention:
If you see a mistake or possible an improvement to the site (the write-up or general) feel free to share in my comments section. I am open to any suggestions!

#7 ·
Bill Strong said:
okay,... those would be the instructions I wrote up. I am RSe if you did not know. Nice install
RSe...ahhhh Racing Strong...whats the 'e' stand for?

Thanks!

#10 ·
Actually I haven't done it yet...i ran out of time and will grease later this week. I actually haven't even put my interior back on because i was going to install my stereo sometime soon (when the darn snow melts...)

#15 ·
Agreed - nice write up!

2 notes:

From your pictures, it looks like you re-used the stock bolt on the drop plate install in the left rear position. On most cars it doesn't matter, but we only provide 3 bolts so that the stock bolt can be reused in the right rear position. This is because on the 93+ cars the lever tab will hit the longer bolt and keep you from getting the car in reverse.

The Jon O bracket is incorrectly installed. The bracket is provided with a carriage (square headed) bolt that is to be put in the square indentation on the shifter tab. This allows you to tighten the bolt with one wrench since the tab keeps the head from turning. The bracket is meant to go on the left side of the lever tab. Square peg = square hole :)

#17 ·
Nice writeup :) Just a note....the bolts that hold the seats down are 14mm not 15mm <grin> I am pretty sure the 2s do not have a single 15mm bolt in them from the factory (but I could be wrong ;-)

I received the drop plate and the little tab thingy for X-mas from my GF (emailed her the link ;-) but it did not come with any directions <grunt> It wasn't hard to figure out but did have me mumbling to myself a few times <grin>. I ended up opting out of using the tab...did not care for it much...and it hiked the upper cable up so far my custom console (in the race car) would not fit back over it....

Cheers
Coty

#18 ·
#22 ·
#23 ·
my write up has some mistakes!

David Hawkins said:
Agreed - nice write up!

2 notes:

From your pictures, it looks like you re-used the stock bolt on the drop plate install in the left rear position. On most cars it doesn't matter, but we only provide 3 bolts so that the stock bolt can be reused in the right rear position. This is because on the 93+ cars the lever tab will hit the longer bolt and keep you from getting the car in reverse.

The Jon O bracket is incorrectly installed. The bracket is provided with a carriage (square headed) bolt that is to be put in the square indentation on the shifter tab. This allows you to tighten the bolt with one wrench since the tab keeps the head from turning. The bracket is meant to go on the left side of the lever tab. Square peg = square hole :)

thanks for the heads up!...not sure exactly what to look for, I will go out and take the tab apart and have a closer look and will edit my write up accordingly. As for the bolt on the rear left, I figured it wouldn't matter because I don't hit it. Do you think I should switch it? During the install I thought I lost one of the bolts and looked EVERYwhere for it with no luck, so i just randomly placed the stock bolt in one of the rear positions.
stay tuned for edits I guess!

#25 ·
1992Corolla said:
thanks for the heads up!...not sure exactly what to look for, I will go out and take the tab apart and have a closer look and will edit my write up accordingly. As for the bolt on the rear left, I figured it wouldn't matter because I don't hit it. Do you think I should switch it? During the install I thought I lost one of the bolts and looked EVERYwhere for it with no luck, so i just randomly placed the stock bolt in one of the rear positions.
stay tuned for edits I guess!
The instructions mention the 3 bolts :) On your car, the position of the short bolt isn't relevant.

The Jon O bracket is installed thus: bolt with square head goes through shifter tab, then Jon O bracket, then washer, then nut. The head of the bolt should be in a square hole in the tab which will keep it from turning while you tighten the nut.

#26 ·
A couple of things:

The seats are 14mm, I wrote it down wrong.

I fixed the site and showed the correct orientation of the shifter. Can you double check for me David? :thumbup
The set-up does make more sense now that I figured out what the square bolt was for.

directly to my post:
WRITE UP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.