MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so there is a lot of debate about tubular manifolds making power or not. But nobody has actually dynoed them that I know of. So here is my test:

Same exact car that I used to dyno the 2.5" to 3" downpipe. No other mods have been done. Will be using the same dyno as before at XS Engineering.

I'll be swapping out my dying CT26 turbo with a factory fresh CT20 turbo. What power do other people make with just:

intake
3" DP
Exhaust
CT20B

Here are the pics:

·
Registered
93 Posts
flupstar said:
Its really not much of a comparison if you're not dynoing the ct20b with and without the tubular manifold..

-Tristan
+1

If you swap an almost dead ct26 for a ct20b and a new manifold the comparision doesn't tell us much about the manifold.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
nice!!! will these be going on production?? i'd really be interested in buying one, i've been looking for one for quite a while. you should have a manifold with an ext. wg port, beautiful though!can't wait to see the results

-Don

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I don't think he plans on comparing his old setup to his new one, that's why he's looking for numbers from similar setups.

Regardless of how it performs it will still look incredible, at least. :p

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
510rob said:
is that a manifold you made yourself, or one of the Taiwan-sourced pieces that are popping up these days?
Half and Half. I don't buy these completely assembled because I don't trust their welds on critical areas. If you know how to weld, you can see that these things are welded by two different people. One being theirs, the other my guy. My fabricator has over 20 years experience doing this stuff, he makes all the fixtures for all the exhausts for M----flow. I can't say who he works for, he's not allowed to do work for other people but you can guess what company it is. I am using the same supplier for my manifolds as one of the well known Supra tuners out in here on the west coast, about 8 hours north of me (again, I can't say but I'm sure you can guess).

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BoosteDeuce said:
nice!!! will these be going on production?? i'd really be interested in buying one, i've been looking for one for quite a while. you should have a manifold with an ext. wg port, beautiful though!can't wait to see the results

-Don

[email protected]
I have 5 of these assembled. I'm running other jobs right now and don't have time to make more of them right now. I'm building the first half of the exhaust this week.

Besides, I don't want to sell them until I can test them and verify everything for you guys.

If you want to be part of the pilot group then contact me.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm interested, but without concrete evidence of what the manifold itself is making I don't see taking the plunge. Maybe after some numbers are disclosed.....looks great though.....

·
Registered
740 Posts
what scares me is the majoy cheater bend out of exhaust port #3. It comes out of the flange at a 45 degree angle. eek! Seems that most tubular manifolds of this design have that same cheat. Othar than that, it looks great!

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Excellent that you're doing more testing. But really, for the numbers to mean anything, you'll have to put a stock exh manifold on there, then ur tubular. No point in guessing at numbers, two different 3S motors can vary 10% in output very easily!

Oh...and to save from any confusion, make sure you refer to the turbo you are using as a CT20B. U posted about a factory fresh CT20...which is a completely different turbo. We had an issue a while back with people buying CT20s (a toyota pickup turbo) on ebay...no bueno :thumbup

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
His spool characteristics should give us at least a decent idea of the effects of long runners on spool, though, if not scientific.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Is it an equal length manfiold?

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
stocklt1 said:
+1

If you swap an almost dead ct26 for a ct20b and a new manifold the comparision doesn't tell us much about the manifold.

exactly, its a waste of time to dyno the dying ct26 anyways, i say take it out put in the ct20b, dyno it. then put the manifold in, dyno it. then show the 2 different dynos....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
^^^
can neone read??? he wants to know what power rating most people are making with a stock manifold, ct20, intake, 3"dp, and exhaust. so that he can compare with the power he would be making with the same mods + the tubular manifold, jeezus

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Critchie said:
^^^
can neone read??? he wants to know what power rating most people are making with a stock manifold, ct20, intake, 3"dp, and exhaust. so that he can compare with the power he would be making with the same mods + the tubular manifold, jeezus
:noob:

Do yourself a favor and read up a little bit more before you choke on your foot....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts