MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to pop my trunk today and when i pulled the lever inside the car, there wasn't the normal pop i'm used to. it pulled up like the trunk was already open. but it wasn't. so i decided to try my key. the key slot was horizontal, the way it is when the trunk is open, but it wasn't. the key wouldn't turn and i could not pull the trunk open. any ideas of how to get inside?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Sounds like you have the lock in the valet position, the trunk release inside is disabled when the lock is in the valet position. Our cars also came with two different keys, a master which locks/unlocks all locks, and a valet key which only works on the door and ignition.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mrtwo91 said:
Sounds like you have the lock in the valet position, the trunk release inside is disabled when the lock is in the valet position. Our cars also came with two different keys, a master which locks/unlocks all locks, and a valet key which only works on the door and ignition.
damn, that sucks. i only have one key and apparently its not the one i need.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
How did you get it locked in that position, it takes the key to get it that way.
Squirt a little WD in the lock and jiggle the key to see if it will free up.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mrtwo91 said:
How did you get it locked in that position, it takes the key to get it that way.
Squirt a little WD in the lock and jiggle the key to see if it will free up.
i have no idea how it got in this valet mode, i didn't do anything i don't normally do as far as i know. i'll try some WD, hopefully it'll work, my tools are in there!

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you only have the valet key

You should be able to have a locksmith create a new key- They have a device that they enter the key code into (which is found somewhere inside the car-glovebox usually) and it cuts a brand new key for the vehicle.

May cost a little more than having a copy made, but a copy of the valet key is useless anyway.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2, but I have tried the master key with spraying some CRC inside the lock but still no luck.. Any other ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts