MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing difficulties with my transmission and I've done just about everything and I'm still scratching my head.

Here is the skinny on my car:
I purchased a 1991 MR2 Turbo, for close to 3 months now, with a CT26 Supra turbo, rebuilt engine (about 5,000 to 7,000 miles ago) with 190 to 195 compression ratio, and running about 11 to 12psi boost which is actually quite a lot considering the high compression on my car. The car runs, races and drives perfectly, no engine problems overheating or anything. Whomever did it did an excellent job on the engine.

Anyways, getting back to the transmission, it was also rebuilt about 2,000 to 3,000 miles ago. Everything was replace and placed as new, synchronizers, factory clutch was replaced with bronze, I think, ACT clutch and pressure plate. Everything was rebuilt.

Problem:
First problem: Never have been able to get into reverse without putting it in first. If not, well you hear the agonizing sound of the gear not getting in where it?s supposed to.

Second problem: This started about 2 or 3 weeks back. The gears get stuck in 1st gear and reverse if fully stopped or going less then 5 mph.

Third problem: Sometimes the clutch stays down at the floor, mostly when what mentioned before happens.

Fourth problem: Of course the gear is stuck in first while trying to cross an intersection, you have cars behind you and are waiting for you. Since you can get the gear out and some people won't let you pass, you must keep the clutch pressed, and while you wait for about 10 seconds or more the car turns off like if you had depressed the clutch.

Solutions:
First solution: The clutch fluid was pumped out, was almost back and looked like old black coffee, and new fluid was pored in. After this was done the problem stopped for about 1 day and a half.

Second solution: The clutch pump appears to be working perfectly, so I doubt that would be the problem.

Third solution: Could it be the clutch? I would think I would experience greater problems than this, and if it has been rebuilt and the clutch is practically new, you would discard this right away. Of course, I have not been drag racing or peeling out and neither did the owner before because he hardly used the car, so the clutch cannot be worn out due to excessive or forced use.

I've checked just about everything that can be checked without having to bring the transmission down. I have never experience anything like before on any other car. Anyone have a clue or an idea of what this might be??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ramicio, no possible way of it being anything else right? Just don't want to have to purchase the whole cylinder to find out it can be something else.

I think your right though, the clutch is way down on the floor, which is a bit annoying when have to shift fast. It even feels like you need to press the clutch even further down on the floor, which is impossible, in order to feel the gears going down smoothly. And even the probable cause of the cylinder going bad was that dirty brake fluid that looked like it hadn't been changed since the car came from the factory.. Thanks, I appreciate all the help!

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
are you saying it gets stuck to the floor occasionally or that you feel it's not fully disengaged to change gears? if you simply are grinding and having a tough time getting into gears then the peal needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both!! That it feels like you need to press the pedal more in order to feel the gears going in smoothly (at least its feels a bit hard while trying to shift into first and in second gear while suddenly accelerating). Of course you can't, because you already are pressing it all the way to the floor to get into each gear.

Also, you can't get into reverse if you don't shift into 1st and quickly shift into reverse.

The peal has already been adjusted to its maximum height.

And that for about 3 weeks now the pedal gets stuck on the floor. This usually happens when the 1st gear or reverse gets stuck, which happens if you have stopped or going less than 5mph. Like I mentioned before, after this happens the car stalls.

I already sent out for both original master cylinder ($86) and slave cylinder ($65). Just hope it isn't something else. What do you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I thought so, cause when one of these cylinders goes bad it tends to damage the other one if its not replaced. I'm glad I did order both a few days back because now it doesn't even want to shift into reverse, and to top it off its getting hard to even shift into 1st gear.

The only problem is that the parts don't arrive until Wednesday :( Got no choice but to wait it out, and I don't want to push the transmission more it can go..

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
one going bad wouldn't tend to damage the other (master/slave). they are on opposite sides of the car connected by a hydraulic line. people often just replace both at the same time since if one's going then the other may be well on it's way also. and yes, your problems are most likely either the release cylinders or clutch adjustment related and not the tranny from what you have described

·
Registered
14 Posts
you might want to make sure that you don't have an exhaust manifold leak. I had a slight leak on mine after a rebuild and it cooked my slave cylinder resulting in the same problems that you are describing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Parts haven't arrived yet... :(
Thanks for all your help guys!

I hadn't though of that, but I'll be sure to check for any manifold leaks as well, just in case. Don't want to have the slaved cylinder damaged again for something that would be rather simple to repair, to then have to re-order it again and wait even more..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts