MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title of the thread suggests, my temperature gauge drops from normal operating temps all the way down to cold when I accelerate past 80+ mph...

Common sense is telling me that my thermostat is probably stuck open but I just wanted to get some second opinions and see if anyone else has ever run into this type of situation...

Anybody who might of come across the same thing, please give some input... any help is always appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Might be a thermostat issue, and you might try burping your cooling system to make sure there is no bubbles forming at high cruising RPM/engine load (at 80 MPH these cars are at what, like 4K RPMs? So that plus the higher resistance than you'd feel at 4K in other gears could cause an odd load in the engine). Im just guessing though, as Ive never heard of a problem like this. And yeah, better stuck open than stuck closed heh.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
No it is not better stuck open. If you are in an area where the outside temp is below 20F the coolant may start to sludge/freeze at highway speeds causing the head to crack.

I've done it a few times to a few engines (3SGTE included)

Swap out the thermostat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts