MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving home last night, it was cold out (-10c) which is why i think it started doing this but i want to find out if anyone else had this problem.

anyway, i'm driving along and the tach starts to go up and down erratically, it didn't affect the car at all it just kept jumping around, even when i pulled to a stop it would sit at the correct position for a couple moments then all of a suddent it start to jump up and down. hhhmmmm i've never seen this ever, has anyone else.

ps it's a mechanical cluster if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If its your Tachometer (not the speedometer) than you probably have something screwy inside the distributer or wiring. I believe thats were the engine recieves the crank signal. You could have interferance I Suppose. Is the wiring harness routed in the stock locatations? Have thier been any additions to your electrical, example: safc? Any device like an safc that splices into the signal wire for the ecu can cause that if its malfuntioning or hooked up improperly.

If its your speedometer than you have abad cluster, cable, or helical gear(gear that cable screws into) with the last 2 being more of the culprit than the cluster.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a loose cable cause at low speeds the speedo needle bounces, but this is completely different, it's the tach first off and it's not like it's bouncing, it's like it has tourettes, seriously. It goes back and forth all over the map, but not all the time(go figure)

The car is stock electronically speaking, no additions like SAFC's, not even addtional gauges, it does have a ct20 but that shouldn't have anything to do with it. All the wires, plugs and cap were replaced just a few months ago.

I think it's just a short, the other day one of the lights for the cluster burnt out, i tapped on the glass and it came back on. Anyone know how difficult it is to remove the cluster?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts