MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't quite finished this, and for the last few weeks I have been working on the engine (repairing BHG on 3sgte), but I thought I'd show you what I've done and get some opinions.

You can see a more detailed run down of what I've done here:
http://www.fasterthanjesus.net/sw11/rad.html

Anyway, here's the hole in the bulkhead/wall thing (click to enlarge):

This is the frame that will be welded in to increase strength, and to provide something for all the ducting to be connected to:

this is the shroud before fibreglassing the top on

and after fibreglassing

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this shows how much room I have, with spare installed. Note this was an earlier ducting set up which I changed in favour of the structural frame, with more fibreglass on the ducting

And here's a shot of the mostly completed ducting as it is now:

here's piping. Both sides are pretty much identical so I'll only post pics of one side...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is what the air sees after it passes through the radiator, looking out at the vent. The gap there is only because he frame isn't welded into place yet.

water to air radiator, mounted (kinda) - the engine radiator has been removed in these pics

the somewhat average looking front skirt. Still haven't found a good replacement, so I might end up having to use this one. The passenger side half isn't too bad, but the driver's side is shocking

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and finally, a shot of the bonnet, installed, but nowhere near completed

·
Registered
535 Posts
If I can offer an engineering suggestion - you may want to triangulate (diagonally cross brace) the frame you added to increase chassis stiffness.

Square-shaped frames such as that one like to "lean over" and make a parallelogram shape when certain forces are applied, while triangulated shapes will resist much better.

Even just one diagonal brace would make a difference. :)

Other than that - really cool and well done! :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the constructive criticism there Spots. I had thought about adding some sort of bracing, but what you can't see in any of those pics is that the radiator actually sits on the bottom of the frame, and would interfere with a diagonal brace going from corner to corner, although I suppose it would be pretty much as effective if a brace was added that went from the top corner to about 6cm up from the bottom corner. I wasn't sure on whether it would be needed at all though, as the frame will be completely seam welded in, and I'm not sure what kind of loading it will be taking...

Also you may notice there's no fan in any of the pictures, rest assured this is just because it's a PITA removing the fan all the time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
wow I like this setup. Really really waiting to see if you run into any cooling problems under hard accelaration. Keep us updated.

I was thinking of doing somthing like this on a mk2 body, so I am really looking forward to the end results.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 11 of 11 Posts